Gas Gas Txt280 Pro 2003- Pics Needed

magoo128

Just wondering if you guys might be able to help...basically my friend has TXT 280 Pro and he had to have a new coil fitted, when he went to pick the bike up from the shop they had the bike running but they were unable to get everything fitted back in so that the tank could sit flush, he waited for a couple of hours and still no joy so he thought he would be able to sort it himself and took the bike home. Long and short of it is, the bike has sat since and had no joy fitting the stuff back in.

I was hoping that one of you guys might have a similar bike and could take a close up pic of underneath tank or a good description of how to refit everything so that we can try and figure it out from there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

iv got a 2002 txt280, have u actually got the tank in ?? is there a small gap from the frame to the tank?? on mine theres a foam gasket type thing around the bottom of the tank and that stops the tank from sittin flush but i think thats how its ment to be. ill go and take some pics in a min if u like.

make sure when your re fitting that the radiator cap isnt stopping the tank from sitting, look for any wiring sticking, try taking the rear fender off and puttin the tank in see if that makes any difference

my tank sits like this, slight gap with a thick foam gasket.

IMG01198-20120301-1607.jpg

pipes and rad fan are close to the tank but never struggled to get tank to sit flush

IMG01199-20120301-1607.jpg

gear side

IMG01201-20120301-1607.jpg

sorry if the pics arent great took them on my phone. my advice would be to take the rear fender off and then try fitting the tank, mine goes in easier with rear fender off

If the coil was removed then the cdi unit (black box) would have been removed too. Is this fitted correctly?

The front (non plug end) of the cdi unit slides under the frame and caged nut at the front end of the bike, the bolt for the fuel tank screws into this caged nut.

With the multiplug disconnected slide the cdi into position. After sliding the cdi unit into position connect the multi plug (which should be facing rearward). Trying to slide the cdi unit under the frame with the plug still attached can be tight so its easier to plug it in last.

Sorry no picture so I hope this helps.

Edited by tankygsy

Thank you for the replies guys, it is actually an 04 and I think it differs from the pics that you have shown. I will try and get a pick of underneath the tank and show you. I think the coil and the condensor are different to other years.

I will try and get a pick up soon.

Thanks again for the replies and the effort Lewis, tankygsy and JSE, its much appreciated.

Hi guys,

Here is a pic of the bike uner the tank so you can get an idea of what we are working with. He has managed to get the tank to fit with the coil etc in this configuration, but I am pretty sure it is the wrong way round and we are really keen to get everything fitted as it should, as it is not fitting wuite right. So if anyone has a similar set up that they can shed some light upon or pics of the proper set up that would be fantastic.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

Under the Tank