Chain Lube.

joeninety

Hi Everyone,

Recently back into trials after a 20+ year lay off and really enjoying it. Just wondered what people are using for chain lube? Going back some years after every trial I would take the chain off, clean with a degeasing / cleaning agent and then put in it an oil pan and heat on my mum's cooker to which she was never impressed about... there must be a better way nowadays???

Cheers,

Gary.

• Like 1

I'm using Castrols chain lube. I'm pretty satisfied with it. I think it sticks very well to the chain. I can ride about two hours and then the chain is still sticky. But I like to give it some more halfway in the race, just because I love my machine :wub:

I also use it on my Yamaha road bike, and also there I'm satisfied. Can easily ride 400 km before relubricating.

WD40.

been using it on roadbike chains for years.

put 12k miles onto a big V twin and had minimal chain wear.

Sticky grease means that the grit sticks to the chain.

with modern chains it makes almost no difference, just enough lube to stop them rusting when not in use is all you need.

I use GT85 or three in one oil.

I used to use motorcycle chain lube but it attracts grit and increases wear.

My method is to always run the hose pipe on the chain after washing with the rear wheel of the ground. All grit and debris is washed out of the rollers. I then blat it up the road to fling of any major water (and it dries the brakes, motor and pipe etc).

Lastly, before I put the bike away give the chain a blast of GT85 whilst rolling the wheel round, wipe of any excess if you're fussy and park it up. This dispels and remaining moisture and leaves an oily film on the chain with no grit in to increase wear.

Bear in mind WD40 does not have any real lubrication properties compared to other light oil/water displacers.

Muc off bike spray is awesome stuff as well for all over treatment but it works out expensive.

I don't like the "wax" or sticky type of lubes. I pull of the chain when it is dirty and throw it in an ultrasonic cleaner and it gets all the junk off. Then blow it off with compressed air and let it dry for a day. Then I have a long piece of cardboard that I lay the chain on and I apply Maxima Chain Guard and run a brush over it to work the oil in.....then let it sit and overnight. Then I wipe the chain with an old rag to get the excess oil off and install it on the bike. It sounds like a lot of work over a 2-3 day period - but it is only a couple of minutes each day and I do it between other projects like feeding the dog or putting wood in the furnace. Sometimes I will lube the chain on the bike with the Chain Guard if it just looks dry and is not dirty.....but I do wipe off any excess before I ride or it can get messy.

Hi All,

I run a DID VT2 narrow x-ring chain. No lubrication required really. I do use WD40 or similar to stop it rusting. Has been on the bike for about 18 months of once weekly riding (around 150 hours) including trail rides and I have yet to adjust it. Most economical chain up until this point.

Andrew

Thats true. If you have O ring or X ring chains they don't need lubing as the grease is held in/protected by the seals. Lubing the surface keeps it looking nice though.

My feeling is if you have the wonga get an O ring or X ring. If not just clean regularly to get grit out of the rollers.

I don't like the "wax" or sticky type of lubes. I pull of the chain when it is dirty and throw it in an ultrasonic cleaner and it gets all the junk off. Then blow it off with compressed air and let it dry for a day. Then I have a long piece of cardboard that I lay the chain on and I apply Maxima Chain Guard and run a brush over it to work the oil in.....then let it sit and overnight. Then I wipe the chain with an old rag to get the excess oil off and install it on the bike. It sounds like a lot of work over a 2-3 day period - but it is only a couple of minutes each day and I do it between other projects like feeding the dog or putting wood in the furnace. Sometimes I will lube the chain on the bike with the Chain Guard if it just looks dry and is not dirty.....but I do wipe off any excess before I ride or it can get messy.

I have to go to work. Sigh

I use Maxxim spray chain wax on the chain before each ride. Thats it. The chain is lasting fine, there is no mess, doesn't need adjusting, dirt washes off, and it lasts a trial or trail ride.

Edited by NZRalphy

I think thats the key. Find a lube that works when the bike is etc and for you to get to your chosen place. Then for it not to attract loads of dirt. This is why I use a light oil. It always dissappears once you get muddy and then it is easy to wash out the dirt once home.