Bike Security

martvw

Hi Guys Reading About all these thefts recently just wondered what everybody is using to secure their bike i am currently using 4 oxford chains and 2 ground anchors, however after watching a few videos it seems some chain can be pick,smashed,or frozen to release the locks looking at getting a almax chain they look like the market leaders..... other than a 12 bore or electrifing the door not sure what else to do ???

Fit alarms such as http://www.responseelectronics.com/ and make sure you have at least 2 PIR detectors overlooking your bikes and each other.

Engrave or hard stamp your registration of part of your frame / engine number on all key parts of the bike such as cases, hubs, fork clamps etc.

Personalise a few bits - get them anodised or plated in unusual colours

Keep photos & records of the above.

Cheers

I usually take the engine out, just to be on the safe side.....................during the week between trials

Wow, you lot have some serious security tackle and make me look totally under prepared

Edited by Johnnyboxer

Hi Guys Reading About all these thefts recently just wondered what everybody is using to secure their bike i am currently using 4 oxford chains and 2 ground anchors, however after watching a few videos it seems some chain can be pick,smashed,or frozen to release the locks looking at getting a almax chain they look like the market leaders..... other than a 12 bore or electrifing the door not sure what else to do ???

As Dadof2 says get an alarm fitted to the garage, A good tamper proof house alarm are well worth the money especially if your garage is close to your house because you can run the alarm on both. Also chain through the frame and never the wheels as they can be removed.

i have 2 chains going through the frame 1 throught each wheel and one wrapped around my bike to the old bantam in the corner hopefully they wont go missing looked at some fb pages locally and it seems just in cornwall and devons 12 have gone missing in the last month or so ...

im just in the process of installing a fully hardwired house alarm in my garage....(honeywell ade g4)

bought on ebay (new) full house kit , alarm unit, keyad,bell box, door contacts, pir's cable, clips and fused spur box...everything ! £120...dead easy to wire too, all tamper proof.

bike chained up too got some ground anchors in, they wont stop em but with slow them down and make themm ake a noise....

failing that it'll be the staffy out the door first, followed by me with my shotty. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honeywell-ADE-LCD-Accenta-8SP399A-Complete-Alarm-Kit-/160557507013?pt=UK_Burglar_Alarms&hash=item2561f921c5

Edited by myzeneye

or if your garage or shed or where ever you keep your bike doesnt have electric, just set up the alarm in the house and run wires to the garage or shed and wire them to door contacts, so then if anyone cuts the wire to it the alarm will sound or if they break in, seen a few done like that and are pretty effective, you can run the cable in some plastic conduit or similar

I know its common sense but try and keep it out of sight, the less people see the better

Scott

Try not to advertise the fact you have a bike, plastering a van in bike stickers and leaving it parked outside your house is an advert to the low life thieves.

Same with travelling to and from an event, be aware of being followed.

Use hardened steel locks and chains (expensive but worth it) with a good quality ground anchor sunk into concrete.

Utilise security lamps which are out of reach and have a mesh guard to prevent thieves using a pole to reach up and move the PIR sensor out of the way.

Paint garage/shed roofs with anti-vandal paint and use good quality locks on doors and windows.

Make sure perimeter fencing is secure, screw fence panel's to posts to prevent the thieves from sliding them up and out of the posts and additionally attach the concertina type trellis to the top of the panels to prevent them climbing over, they are unable to get any purchase and if attempted they trap fingers and make a hell of a racket.

Surround any possible approach route with gravel so they are unable to make a silent approach on foot.

Don't leave tools like hacksaws, grinders, cutters readily accessible should entry be gained by the thieves.

Use a decent alarm, we keep our bikes at another address about half a mile away, I've fitted an alarm with a built in sim card which phones/texts up to five numbers of your choice look up www.novibo.com they do add-ons which can you can use to personalise the system to your choice, a cheap and very good alarm - It's stopped our bikes going on two occasions now. I'm nowt to do with Novibo it's just the alarm I bought, there are others on the market undoubtedly as good or better but for the price I was impressed by what was available.

Report illegal bike riding to the cops every time you see it, most of the time they are on nicked bikes. Report every incident of suspicious activity, attempt theft or burglary or damage to the cops and complain if you get what you perceive to be poor or inadequate service.

Mither them until they start to address the ever increasing problem of bike theft and hammer your local councillor and MP until they realise we should be getting tough with thieving scumbags instead of allowing them free rein.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Try not to advertise the fact you have a bike, plastering a van in bike stickers and leaving it parked outside your house is an advert to the low life thieves.

Same with travelling to and from an event, be aware of being followed.

Use hardened steel locks and chains (expensive but worth it) with a good quality ground anchor sunk into concrete.

Utilise security lamps which are out of reach and have a mesh guard to prevent thieves using a pole to reach up and move the PIR sensor out of the way.

Paint garage/shed roofs with anti-vandal paint and use good quality locks on doors and windows.

Make sure perimeter fencing is secure, screw fence panel's to posts to prevent the thieves from sliding them up and out of the posts and additionally attach the concertina type trellis to the top of the panels to prevent them climbing over, they are unable to get any purchase and if attempted they trap fingers and make a hell of a racket.

Surround any possible approach route with gravel so they are unable to make a silent approach on foot.

Don't leave tools like hacksaws, grinders, cutters readily accessible should entry be gained by the thieves.

Use a decent alarm, we keep our bikes at another address about half a mile away, I've fitted an alarm with a built in sim card which phones/texts up to five numbers of your choice look up www.novibo.com they do add-ons which can you can use to personalise the system to your choice, a cheap and very good alarm - It's stopped our bikes going on two occasions now. I'm nowt to do with Novibo it's just the alarm I bought, there are others on the market undoubtedly as good or better but for the price I was impressed by what was available.

Report illegal bike riding to the cops every time you see it, most of the time they are on nicked bikes. Report every incident of suspicious activity, attempt theft or burglary or damage to the cops and complain if you get what you perceive to be poor or inadequate service.

Mither them until they start to address the ever increasing problem of bike theft and hammer your local councillor and MP until they realise we should be getting tough with thieving scumbags instead of allowing them free rein.

Good luck.

Some good advice there

Luckily my yard and garages can't be seen from the road

Garage is alarmed

Bike locked up

Travel to and from a trial, in a plain unstickered van with no rear windows & when I return, the van is backed up to the garage doors and unloaded

Never leave bikes outside, any longer than necessary and I always pressure wash on rear patio, not at front of house - where it can be seen

Advertising what you've got, is asking for trouble and I know it is more difficult for some people

When choosing this house, the rear yard & gardens/land privacy was a big decider

All good advice especially the bit about reporting ALL illegal bike riding as i agree the bikes are probably nicked by the scumbags riding them if not illegal riding is a blight on our sport so NEEDS reporting anyway.

I suppose electrifying the door handle wouldnt be acceptable in this criminal friendly society we now live in?

Shame nothing happens to the ****bags if the do get caught though. Traping their hands in a slamed door would be a fitting "accident"

Sounds like you guys have as much $$ in protecting your bike as it cost . I feel for you , don't think I could live like that , there'd be some injured/dead scumbags , then I'd be the criminal :wall:

I hardly ever lock ANYTHING up here , this is my other expensive hobby

maybe the crooks have a reason to stay away :P

Edited by toothandnail
  • Like 2