Yam Mono Rear Spring Removal

mattylad

Well I've searched the workshop manual and replacing a spring does not get mentioned.

What is mentioned though is the Damper Rod or Oil Seal, if damaged - replace the whole unit!

It does not say 'why' (ie. spares unavailable etc) therefore this leads me to think it's none-dismantle-able....

...... also the manual goes into great depth about using the correct method for disposing of the shock !!!

Someone out there MUST have tried this before.

I think the only way you can remove the spring is to undo the base of the assembly from the damper rod (assuming the damper rod is threaded)

The problem is the limited amount of room to get a fix on the rod due to the reservoir hose joint preventing the spring from being moved very far.

Ive tried loads of times in the past and even had a "proper motorcycle mechanic" have a look and we have had no success.

You could try ringing Nigel Birkett - at least you would find out for sure if they can be dismantled.

• 5 years later...