9 replies to this topic

#1 old trials fanatic

old trials fanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,730 posts
  • Bike:James Bulto TY Ossa
  • Club:Peak Classic, Dales Classic, AA, Tufty.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

hi clutch on the 242 is dragging. I assume it's an adjustment issue so whats the adjustment proceedure? also whats best oil viscosity to use? Thanks guys :thumbup:
The Victor Meldrew of Trials Central. Dont believe everything you read about me because the truth is much much worse !! LOL

Ads By Google User is online

Ads By Google
  • Ad Bots

Don't want these Ads? Why not help support TC and sign up as a Trials Central Supporter?

#2 cotacrazy

cotacrazy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Bike:montesa cotas 75 -84
  • Club:stafford auto / border classic / dales classic

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

There's no real adjustment beyond the cable, the springs are held in by pins locating in the pressure plate, which is a weak cast item and prone to failure,which caused drag.Hopefully your issue is down to incorrect oil, Ive tried a few but found Putoline light gear oil to work best.

#3 nh014

nh014

Advanced Member

• Site Supporter
  • 137 posts
  • Bike:348 CotaX3 Beta Rev3
  • Club:MAVT

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:14 PM

Unless you have run it dry and warped the plates, Cota's are not prone to clutch drag. Have you checked the clutch cable to ensure it is not frayed internally, or kinked / smashed.

#4 old trials fanatic

old trials fanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:15 AM

Unless you have run it dry and warped the plates, Cota's are not prone to clutch drag. Have you checked the clutch cable to ensure it is not frayed internally, or kinked / smashed.

Just got the bike and trying to asses wether it's worth restoring or not and it's strange the clutch feels like it's working normally i.e. when you pull it in the arm moves smoothly and you can feel spring pressure but the clutch doesnt dissenguage.
The Victor Meldrew of Trials Central. Dont believe everything you read about me because the truth is much much worse !! LOL

#5 b40rt

b40rt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,027 posts
  • Club:Foot.....Dalmellington.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

Just got the bike and trying to asses wether it's worth restoring or not and it's strange the clutch feels like it's working normally i.e. when you pull it in the arm moves smoothly and you can feel spring pressure but the clutch doesnt dissenguage.

Plates stuck together ? Just a thought !
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. Mark Twain

#6 old trials fanatic

old trials fanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

Spoke to Steve Goode earlier and he suggested it may be the "pushrod" which on the 242 is brass. I need to strip the cover off and there is a three legged device on the inside of the cover that the clutch lever presses to actuate the clutch when the handlebar lever is pulled in. In the middle of this three legged thingy is a brass rod that apparently wears and thus doesnt fully depress the clutch so it doesnt disenguage properly.

Sounds plausable so i will have to buckle down and strip it or just sell it. decisions decisions. Too many projects not enough time :blush:

#7 woody

woody

Advanced Member

• Site Supporter
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:13 PM

You only have to take the clutch cover off to check the mechanism that Steve is talking about.

The brass actuator is about the same size as the one on the end of the Ossa pushrod and similarly sits in the clutch casing although they can fall out when removing/replacing the cover. With the cover off you can also see if the clutch cover plate is cracked.

#8 old trials fanatic

old trials fanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

You only have to take the clutch cover off to check the mechanism that Steve is talking about.

The brass actuator is about the same size as the one on the end of the Ossa pushrod and similarly sits in the clutch casing although they can fall out when removing/replacing the cover. With the cover off you can also see if the clutch cover plate is cracked.

Thanks Dave :thumbup:

#9 woody

woody

Advanced Member

• Site Supporter
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

Thinking again, does the 242 have the same type of bottom end as the old 200? If so clutch mechanism is on the opposite side to the bikes I'm used to like the 350, 247 etc. So it may differ slightly - but the principle should still be the same.

#10 cotacrazy

cotacrazy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Bike:montesa cotas 75 -84
  • Club:stafford auto / border classic / dales classic

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:01 PM

Its the same brass button and 3 legged spider as on the others.

Ads By Google User is online

Ads By Google
  • Ad Bots

Don't want these Ads? Why not help support TC and sign up as a Trials Central Supporter?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users