Spark Or More Like Lack Of .....

wallo

So, I'm getting to the point where I feel the need to invest in an electronic mag for the old girl, especially as the rest of the factory team has taken the leap.

What do people think of the BTH electronic mags, I hear they now have a new model for off road use which allows the guts to be mounted up out of the way of mud and water?

Are there any alternatives to the BTH?

Please send me a message if you'd prefer, cheers all

I know a couple of classic scrambler on BSA Gold Stars that use the BTH unit this unit is self generating so no outside power is needed There are other types as supplied by SRM that fit in your old mag I looked at these systems but ended getting the mag redone for my AJS & BSA B31

Edited by Naichuff

Thanks for the pm Wallo,I thought it best to answer on here.I looked into fitting a BTH electronic unit on my Ariel back when I first got it,as the mag would play up when it got hot.At the time they wouldnt sell one to me for trials use as they were fed up with warranty claims on units that were full of mud/water from trials/scrambles bikes.They were busy enough making them for road users who didnt abuse them so much.Fair enough really,so I then bought an Electrex world unit for a BSA C15/B40,and modded it to fit onto the end of the Crank of the Ariel.This also didnt work as the engine has too much play in the main bearings - chewing up the stator and rotor very quickly.So from there I went back to the original lucas racing mag and had it rebuilt by paul at APL magneto's in Shaftsbury,Dorset. £150 later and it works fine.(Except when its full of water - they dont like that...)

So for now I'm sticking to the Lucas mag,I asked loads of people about their bikes and got lots of very strong responses,the Electrex world unit does work very well if the engine is in good nick,Barry Barthorpe has great success with it on his.Others around have the BTH units and do well with them.(I think they have new owners and will sell to mud riders again now) While others use the Lucas SR mags to good effect.

For now I'm happy with the Lucas mag,it works well and looks the part,I do think they look odd with the mag removed...

One last thought is that I asked the Electrex chaps at Telford in 2011 if they were going to do an electronic implant for old mags.They said they were already working on it,but were very busy so progress was slow.I didnt see anything on their stand this year,but if they did do an implant that was waterproof I'd have one.

Thanks, I'm on the same page. I've made a few enquiries and am working with someone at the moment to get electronics in a Lucas mag, it's coming along well but will take time. I think I'll stick with the Lucas at least until the prototype is ready hopefully the weather will improve it can't get much worse than the snow, rain, sleet we experiencec during the March Hare.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, not strictly on the topic of mags on big singles, but a mate of mine had a B40 with a little mag which bolted onto the side cover in place of the points cover, driven off the camshaft. It was a nice neat little unit, the like of which I had not seen before, so, does anyone know what make it is and where I might get one? Dave

Hi Guy's.

Hi Dave.

The magneto you are talking about is from the USA it is a Joe Hunt Magneto. We have one on a B50 engined Cheaney BSA.

I have looked on there web site, has I did a long time ago, and looks like they no longer make the mag. The only one that is listed compleat with side cover is for a BSA A10 twin It is a shame they no longer make them for a single, as I thought it was a good idea and didn't protrude much from the case. Hope this helps!

Regards Charlie.