Selecting Evo Gears When Engine Hot

dalts0110

Hello boys and girls, would like any idea`s on making my gear selection easier,i have a 2010 evo 290 when i have done a new oil change when the engine is cold the gear selection is spot on, but when the engine gets hot it finds a life of its own , and when your at the start of a section waiting to go in and it dosn`t want to go in to any gear unless you near enough have to jump on it or use a lump hammer on it, you start to lose your focus on the section and worry about the gears instead if anybody has had similar problems and able to rectify or make it easier would be good to hear thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Had the same problem with my 2011 when it was new. Tried the "Beta Clutch Fix" and it was better but not good. Called the dealer and he sent me new steel-plates. I didn´t think it would help but I changed them anyway. After the change the problem was gone! Take your plates and put them on a mirror or a glass to see if they are flat!

have tried different oil as in atf oil, no difference,have checked steel plates and there are some that are not completely flat so will get intouch with dealer, have also tried shimming behind clutch plate cover and tried some different sized shimms,there was one already on mine as ive been told the factory would of put it on from new,the shim fitted was 0.47mm i tried to double it up, it cured the dragging and gear selection but made the clutch slip execivelly, shimm was too much so put in a smaller one with origanal one so total thickness was 0.67,gear selection was good,but there was a slight dragg and clutch slip in 5th and 6th gear, will try another smaller shimm and see how that goes but any more idea`s are worth listening to thanks,

My previous 2010 290 had the exact same problem, Tried everything with it, Complete New clutch, Different gear oils, Still didn't cure it.

I tried the Beta clutch mod, But didn't make one bit of difference, It would be ok when cold as you say with yours, But as soon as the engine warmed up, No chance with it, Before I started a section i had to get the bike in the correct gear first, Because the lever wouldn't move one bit when stood still,

Eventually had enough with it and took it in to Lampkins, & John had it sent back to Beta Italy, & got a new gearbox put in, Was right after that.

I'm just glad my 300 isn't the same!

The different thickness shims could work, But it's just finding the right ones so the clutch doesn't slip as you say.

welcome to the club, I.ve even made up a set of steel/driven plates, but like you and others the problem persists, having tried all the fixes including lapping and beadblasting the driven plates..all the clutch fix mods,etc.etc..I noticed that the driver plates were only marking the basket on one side , so "clocked" the concentricity twixt hub & basket it was 0.5 mm out of concentricity. (should be irrelivant as all driver plates are "floating). found by fitting hub on different splines got it within 0.1mm. I tried a 0w 5 synthetic oil (Total) having spent 40 odd hours pratting about with it I find I can now select gears stationary when hot, no plates sticking,. I can also "feel" it into gear I think this is due to oil flying out from ctr of hub (my 2012 has holes drilled from inside to where the driven plates line up) by revving the engine just befor going for a gear... A lot of people say fit bigger (push) master cylinder to get better lift or seperation of the plates, It would be great if somebody could give a definitive lift figure (i get 1.1mm at the pressure plate for full pull of the lever) I have to say that £4.5 K for a trials bike with a clutch like this is pretty dire. What further confuses is that my wifes new 125 has a (cant say perfect) good working clutch not had the cover off one oil change 3 rides ago now running with 15W40 semi engine oil.

• 2 weeks later...

evening people, because the weathers that bad i`ve had time to tinker with the clutch, as i said i had put in a shimm that made the gear change better, but still dragged and slipped, the size was 0.57mm shimm had some more made and put a 0.56mm in, tried the bike afterwards and so far so good, after a good half an hours riding was able to select gears still and no dragg or slipping,so you have to be very critical with what you do and i will change the oil more frequently, hope this will help in the future to any Beta owners,and maybe Beta will try and get it better.