Show Me Your Twin Shocker!

sir dabs alot

11 hours ago, robbiesty175 said:

This better? ;)  Got my Fantic yesterday and today I clean... 

fantic_22s.jpg

FIRST THING !!!! , Get the tank off it and check for cracks in the head stock area ! looks a bit relaxed ... And then measure from the front axle to the swingarm pivot and let me know where it is ....

My Christmas ride out thanks to Nigel Dabster. Great fun on a 30 year old bike, runs sweet as a nut but could do with a new front tyre & a slightly more sophisticated kill button.

15785651_10207799833141670_129472199_o.jpg

Edited by perce
  • Like 6

That turned out really nice Todd! Would you be willing to share any details about the build? I,m curious what gas tank that is and how you did your exhaust,motor mods etc.

I am working on a trials Ace 100 over this winter and have a Wombat waiting in the wings that will also be built as a trials bike.

Edited by scot taco
wanted to ask a more detailed question

22 hours ago, scot taco said:

That turned out really nice Todd! Would you be willing to share any details about the build? I,m curious what gas tank that is and how you did your exhaust,motor mods etc.

Thanks you.

The bike started life as a TL125. The only Honda bits left are the fork, wheels, swing arm and back bone. Everything else have been modified.

All the new tubing is chrome moly. I lowered and moved back the pegs. This took some time and a few changes to get the bike feeling comfortable. The swing arm now supports the kick stand and also a chain tensioner from a KT250. The shocks have been move forward to about where the stock seat mounts once were. The steering head was cut and moved forward to about 24deg. The upper tube width was determined by how wide the seat was going to be. The seat is from the front 10" of a KTM seat that rides up the tank. The gas tank is Yamaha DT100.

The engine is a reeded Combat Wombat 125. I think what really makes the motor work well is the gearing and the pipe off a RM90. My friend Joe said I think it will help with the power through the rpm's (plus I think he wanted to build the pipe). He was right. Good bottom end and when you need more it's there but not crazy snappy.

The bike is fun to ride but I made it to pretty. Now I'm afraid to scratch it. So I have to build another

Cheers

079.jpg

• Like 4

22 hours ago, scot taco said:

I am working on a trials Ace 100 over this winter and have a Wombat waiting in the wings that will also be built as a trials bike.

Hi Scot

A lot of people  feel the Ace100 is a good choice. I agree only if you are a smaller person. I compete on a TY175 and feel big on it. On an Ace100 I feel ready big.

I'm preparing to build another bike using frame bits from a Wombat and a lot of TY stuff. One of the main things I am going to do different is use a cylinder from a Wombat (and reed port it) or an 03 Wombat cylinder. The exhaust port is lower. I also feel the exhaust made the other bike much better.

Good luck on your builds. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers

• Like 1

That turned out really nice Todd! Would you be willing to share any details about the build?

Thanks Todd for all the info.

You have put a lot of work into that bike and it shows.I think I have seen pics on the web of another TL/Hodaka  at Hodaka Days  that left more of the frame there and the TL tank.There are a lot of cool customs out there.

The Ace based bike will be for my daughter to learn on and if she doesn,t like it it will get more mods for me to use,The older I get the more a smaller bike sounds good!

I like the DT tank and I think that might fit a Hodaka frame because I have seen the Carke YZ tanks on Combats.

I have an enduro cross reed cylinder to go with the Wombat project bike,but I might stick with the stock piston port cylinder,not sure just yet.

Thanks again!