Show Me Your Twin Shocker!

sir dabs alot

Here is my late 1971/early 1972 Montesa Cota 247 I have been refurbishing, still have a few things to finish like new rear shocks, cover my seat pan, and find the cam and lever for the front brake since they were missing when I picked it up. First pic is how I picked it up last year and second is how it sits today, it is rideable now.

post-20130-0-32297500-1414881224_thumb.jpg

post-20130-0-67894900-1414881243_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

John, The sad part about the plastic tanks we get here is they breathe just like the

original mod 199 tanks.

You cant paint or keep decals on them....

Try to repair the glass and line it like your fine 247.

A plastic tank will require seat work also.

Have a good day

Larry

• Like 1

Oh a very nice 199b, :popcorn: very sorted and to the mounted gas tank, IMHO certainly OK. The tank seems to be from an earlier model as mentioned and if thight and with no bubbles I would leave it as it is. The original tanks get's bubbles in the paint and the replika gas tanks made out of glassfiber; some of them are tolerant against the "modern" gas some sadly not.

To the brake gear set up that is not my fashion espacially as all other bikes have the footbrake and gear lever on the other side, but if it's OK to you ...

I would look up if everything is technical OK, especially the swing arm axle and bushes well greased the ball bearings at the steering steam works well, (often weared out), the oil seals of the fork get weard out quick too (in my experience) and a look at the brakes should be done too as they are a weak point, cause of the chrome plating inside and the brake shoes are sometimes not aligned to the drum.

These were the main to look at areas in my experience. Engine is mostly bullet proof and tolerant to wear, the ignition here I would check the points and the ignition timing.

• Like 1

John, If you find a way to have a decent rear brake on the right side; Please advise.

Have a good day

Larry

PS just saw the nice answer to above,see post on WES system this forum.

Edited by lbhbul