Tips On Tidying Up Swing Arm

robdyson

Hi renovation of my 02 scorpa 250 is well on its way. The swingarm was looking very scruffy so have set about tidying it up, it has quite a lot of scuffing as to be expected however the old duraglit metal polish isn't man enough any tips on how to get rid of the scratches, thanks .

Strip it down, remove the old stickers, grease and dirt with degreaser. Remove or cover the bearings and put some old bolts in the open thread holes.

718.jpg

Take it to a powder coating company and choose a colour.

It will look like new.

IMG_1075.jpg

The only problem with this is it's addictive. Once you've had one part powder coated, you won't want to stop! :)

IMG_1080.jpg

I had the frame and fork legs done in white, the swingarm, footpegs, yokes, side stand, sump guard and a handfull or brackets done in satin black.

I degreased it and blanked off all the holes etc myself (that's suprisingly time consuming) and it cost £150. One colour would have been £100, but I really wanted a white frame.

In reality it did cost a bit more, as you strip a bike down that far, you always find other things that need replacing that you would otherwise have missed/ignored. I put it back together with new bearings and stainless steel fasteners which added another £50 or so. (Search online for bearing numbers if you need any. Bearings from bearing companies are a lot cheaper than ones from motorcycle manufacturers.)

I hope this helps.

Pete

Thanks pete. Know what you mean about finding other jobs . Yes the bearings are expensive, as asre the fasteners found a firm called bolt me up do packages for trials bike , got 500 piece kit for £22 you can find them on fleebay. Cheers , Rob.