199 Sherpa Blue Frame

nedkelly

I have a blue 199 Sherpa with frame number JB 19902239. It has tubes under the engine and no gusset on the swing arm. It has blue frame, tank and mudguards etc.

Can someone confirm whether or not Bultaco released blue frame 199 Sherpas.

I have a blue 199 Sherpa with frame number JB 19902239. It has tubes under the engine and no gusset on the swing arm. It has blue frame, tank and mudguards etc.

Can someone confirm whether or not Bultaco released blue frame 199 Sherpas.

my serial # is 19903434 and it came with a red tank & covers, since your serial # is lower tnan mine I don't think yours orrigially came blue, hard to say for sure, I am pretty sure red poly tank was 77 and blue was '78 then the blue 199a was a '79, I could not find a pic of a blue tank 199 that is not a a or b, I am sure they made a blue tank 199 beceause I have a fuel tank to one and the graphics are different that the a & b

Edited by MotoVintage

Where are you in Oz Ned Kelly (no i'm not after the reward)

Pretty sure M199's were Red and silver.

So you haven't worked out who he is yet? I'll give you a clue - he rode at the same Twinshock Masters as you and I but didn't ride the bike in question

• Like 1

I reckon about the same helpfulness but yours is also humorous so it gets extra points

The idea here is to help a guy, surely a reference to the bultaco list is more use than saying I didnt answer a specific question, which others have done now anyway.

Please try and help others (like everyone else has) rather than criticising me for a partial answer.

The idea here is to help a guy, surely a reference to the bultaco list is more use than saying I didnt answer a specific question, which others have done now anyway.

Please try and help others (like everyone else has) rather than criticising me for a partial answer.

I did not seek to criticise. The questioner is actually a riding buddy of mine. I helped him with his question as far as I could a month or so ago, as did many other Bultaco lovers in his acquaintance, but this was not enough to answer his question, so I suggested that he pose the question on this forum in the hope that someone else could help.

When I saw that the only reply posting (yours) appeared to claim to provide the answer, but the listing that the link opened only contained brochure photos typical of M199 and M199A, I was concerned that people who may have been able to help, may not open your link, and possibly assume that your reply had answered his query.

The outcome for my riding buddy has been some helpful replies. Thankyou everyone who has contributed so far

I don't think you can get a definitive answer on this. The production 199 was red/silver, the production 199a was blue. But who knows whether Bultaco released a blue 199 for whatever reason and unless someone closely associated with the factory is still around to tell the tale, the question will go unanswered.

Not sure about Oz, but in the UK many red Bultacos have been done blue, just as many 199a models now have white frames. As someone mentioned before, it is most likely a 199 that has been painted refinished in blue.

Probably not as bad in your part of the world but here, at the end of a trial, most bikes are the same shade of brown / black....

• Like 1