Techno Trauma's Help Please!

gbmoto

Hi All

Have just returned to trials after a long break on a 1995 Techno, first non twinshock I have owned.

Did all the obvious before the first ride, chain, sprockets. brake pads etc etc, in fact a full bare frame rebuild.

Left the engine as it seemed to run and start well, just a bit of carefull carb set up.

Refilled the coolant and the problems seemed to start, very difficult to get any quantity it.

Lampkins were really helpful and in the end got it filled ok.

But every time I fired it up there were major bubbles in the overflow tank.

Anyway first trial, bike seemed to run fine although there was a coolant leak, but i could not see where from, possible from around the headbolts.

Only did 2 laps as the clutch master cylinder seals went and the bike was getting hot too.

Dropped the oil and found most of the coolant mixed in there.

After seeking advice I replaced the seals in the head, re-annealed the head bolt washers, replaced the water pump seal, and the clutch seals...what fun.

Fired it up and all seemed good, next trial and the fan went on permanently, checked the thermostat and it had failed, so rode with the fan on after it had warmed up.

No fluid leaks, heard coolant bubbling in the catch tank after first lap, by the end of the second lap bike does not sound good, pinging etc, so retire.......again.

Drain the oil and it is contaminated again,

This time i replaced the waterpump shaft, my shaft was one piece with the gear, but the new shaft was a single piece with separate gear, so bought those bits and have just put it all back together with a new thermostat.

Still struggle to get coolant in, if I kick the bike over with the catch tank lid off it squirts coolant out, does this sound correct??

Have I connected the pipes wrong? cylinder head goes to the top right of the rad, catch tank to the top left, as you are sitting on the bike, I'm sure that's how it was when I took it apart.

The bike started easily but sounds awful, a sort of scraping from the bowels of the engine, don't really want to run it for long.

Any ideas? I am a pretty patient guy with reasonable mechanical ability (but not on water-cooled bikes!!) but i am rapidly getting disillusioned with this Beta.

Tried to reply earlier but it did not go through. I wrote a book before so this will be short. Until you have fixed the over heating I would bypass the thermostat and make sure the fan is spinning. The over flow tank should only be filled to the lowest level(.Almost empty) For a properly running bike. Will push out otherwise.

I would remove the top end and check for damage. I would also remove left side cover and check for corrosion. Radiator sounds questionable.

The head O rings were most likely flat and hard from old age thus not sealing and letting combustion pressure in the cooling system. I had this happen on a Gas Gas and while I was there I replaced the copper washers and the head bolts and it fixed it without much expense. Since you ran the bike for a bit longer than you should have I'd bet there is now much more damage and looking deeper in to the engine is good advise.

Yup, looked like it was filled with plain water when I got it, I used the pink stuff from Halfords, what does everyone else use??

Anyone tried a Rev 3 head gasket in a Techno??

All looks the same, the Techno just has O-rings.

Oh, also have a barrel and piston on the way, not too bad price either

For techno bits & advice you should give Haven Trialsport a ring: http://haventrialspo...betatechno.aspx

Parts diagram: http://haventrialspo.../Techno1995.pdf

Ian @ trials & tribulations also stocks a lot of bits for them and seems to know what's interchangeable between models; http://trialstribulations.net/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=techno

I use Silkolene Pro Cool, because it was what my local bike shop had.

Edited by rallymadsam