How Much Oil?

lewisallen

searched the forum but could find what i was looking for.. what i want to no is how much ATF oil should i put in my 2002 gas gas txt 280?? iv been told 700ml by the garage i got it from, but few others iv spoken to say, 450ml and as theres no dip stick on the bike i have no idea what i should put in. I put 700ml in on the last oil change but just seems alot and to change it every few rides costs a bit.. any one help me?? im using motul dexron iii atf if that makes a difference?? thanks in advance

searched the forum but could find what i was looking for.. what i want to no is how much ATF oil should i put in my 2002 gas gas txt 280?? iv been told 700ml by the garage i got it from, but few others iv spoken to say, 450ml and as theres no dip stick on the bike i have no idea what i should put in. I put 700ml in on the last oil change but just seems alot and to change it every few rides costs a bit.. any one help me?? im using motul dexron iii atf if that makes a difference?? thanks in advance

Use 380cc's of ATF. Using the case sight glass it will show up as half way up the window.

400cc to 375cc is for the Pro model only. The recommended amount for the Edition model is 650cc - although I used to run 550cc in mine for less drag. GG had confusing nomenclature in 2002 for the two different models - so you can get some widely varying answers. Its best to identify it as a Pro or Edition as they were both technically txt 280's....go figure.

The 02' 280 Pro takes 350-380cc's. It's different from the 03' and later Pros, which take about 425cc's. They were giving you info on the "Edition" model, which is the older type engine.

Jon

400cc to 375cc is for the Pro model only. The recommended amount for the Edition model is 650cc - although I used to run 550cc in mine for less drag. GG had confusing nomenclature in 2002 for the two different models - so you can get some widely varying answers. Its best to identify it as a Pro or Edition as they were both technically txt 280's....go figure.

yeh im getting even more confused now with the amount to put in.. how will i no if i have a pro or an edition? the stickers say 02txt edition, guessin thats my answer?? if thats right how much should i put in ?? 700ml seems alot

yeh im getting even more confused now with the amount to put in.. how will i no if i have a pro or an edition? the stickers say 02txt edition, guessin thats my answer?? if thats right how much should i put in ?? 700ml seems alot

Dude, it takes less than even a few seconds to look at pictures on google, let alone Gas Gas spain, Gas Gas UK, or even Gas Gas usa website, to tell which bike you have, the engine is VERY different on the "edition" verses the PRO models. Gas Gas was dumbass to go back to calling the PRO's as TXT's again around 06

you have an 02, check the Flywheel cover in pictures of new bikes compared to yours, you should be able to tell. so if you have the older engined bike, then it was 650-700cc's. The engine was redesigned and everything is smaller, over simply put. Pro models hold less oil, less weight. BTW, the older TXT or edition engines, the crank bearings get oiled from gas/OIL mixture, where the new pro's the transmission oil lubes the crank bearings. SO in pro engines we change a heck of a lot more than you probably have to in the older engine.

ALso since you {might} have older engine, this litle guide is something to laminate and keep in your toolbox, I still have one. http://mypage.direct...illyd/ggman.pdf

Edited by Sting32

Dude, it takes less than even a few seconds to look at pictures on google, let alone Gas Gas spain, Gas Gas UK, or even Gas Gas usa website, to tell which bike you have, the engine is VERY different on the "edition" verses the PRO models. Gas Gas was dumbass to go back to calling the PRO's as TXT's again around 06

you have an 02, check the Flywheel cover in pictures of new bikes compared to yours, you should be able to tell. so if you have the older engined bike, then it was 650-700cc's. The engine was redesigned and everything is smaller, over simply put. Pro models hold less oil, less weight. BTW, the older TXT or edition engines, the crank bearings get oiled from gas/OIL mixture, where the new pro's the transmission oil lubes the crank bearings. SO in pro engines we change a heck of a lot more than you probably have to in the older engine.

ALso since you {might} have older engine, this litle guide is something to laminate and keep in your toolbox, I still have one. http://mypage.direct...illyd/ggman.pdf

because i got my bike 2nd hand i didnt no if the graphichs would of been changed to make it look nicer, from the looks of it i have an edition. iv just changed the oil and put 750ml, everythings all good, just wanted to see what other people put in and thanks for the guide mate.

• Like 1

because i got my bike 2nd hand i didnt no if the graphichs would of been changed to make it look nicer, from the looks of it i have an edition. iv just changed the oil and put 750ml, everythings all good, just wanted to see what other people put in and thanks for the guide mate.

Sorry, didnt meant to come off mad, as much as hurrying to state the facts... just was pointing out you SHOULD BE able to tell easily if you look at the cases or FLYWHEEL covers alone... of how different they are, plus exhaust and everything. you will notice that after 2003, at least, the flywheel cover is BLACK, plus is VERY different than yours in size and SHAPE, fortunately all the Pro models, have been that way for years.