Clutch Tool.

joeninety

Hi JoeNinety, ... I love the nick name :D

This might sound crazy but if you are really desperate you can simply make one out of a rectangular length of sheet ply wood or hardboard. Width - same as the basket .... Length - your choosing.

Remove the 6 cover plate screws then use the cover plate to mark out the 6 screw holes near one end of your board. Then draw cross lines to mark the centre of the 6 hole marks. With 7 holes marked out drill a big hole in the middle (bigger then the clutch centre nut) with a door hole drill/saw. Then drill out the other six holes so the 6 clutch bolts can pass through. Then use all six bolts with washers to fix it to the clutch basket instead of the clutch cover plate but do not over tighten the screws.

If your rectangular length of board is long enough it will touch the ground at around 45 degrees leaving both hands free to loosen the centre nut. ... better than a clutch tool in my opinion.

Hope all this makes sense?

Good luck.

Neo

do you have access to a air impact gun i have a small 3/8 drive one that runs off my small compressor removes the nut no probs just hold the centre of the basket with a heavy duty type rigger glove

Carefull with this, as you can easily exceed the torque spec on re- install!

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up using a mains electricity rattle gun that I borrowed off a mate to remove the nut. What a peice of kit! I'm not going to put the nut back on with it as its torque is not adjustable and it is capable of applying 450 n/m!

Thanks for all your help with this...

Gary.

• 1 year later...

I know it's late, but it might help someone. I made a clutch removal tool from a couple old metal clutch plates and a long piece of metal. Align the plates and spot weld them together. Then weld two 1/4 by 1/4 by 1/2 inch spacers at the 4 o'clock and 7 o'clock positions (don't allow them to hang inside the plates). Then, across the spacers, weld the long piece as a handle. This allows you to break the nut loose and torque it when you put it back together. If I can figure out how to add a photo, I will.

Next time you pull the clutch, before you remove the basket nut, take a prick punch and mark the end of the shaft off of center, then right next to that mark, prick punch the nut. When you go to reassemble, tighten the basket nut until the two punch marks line up. The nut torque will be very close to what you had. I use an air impact to remove and tighten the nut. Use short bursts on the trigger. Just remember to turn the air pressure way down when you tighten the nut. You don't need a clutch tool to remove or assemble, just grab the basket with a thick leather glove. Be careful and don't over tighten. I've been doing it this way forever and never had a problem.

• 3 months later...