198B Angine - Differences? Flywheel?

smelling123

Hi Stu , i have had a few of these b models and they seem to be put together with whatever the factory had lying around , my bike has 212(alpina) stamped on the lefthand case and the cylinder , if i get chance i will have a look at mine and let you know ,it needs to come apart anyway as the kickstart ratchet has started creeping a bit , i may have a larger type if you want to try that for comparison

Pat kean

Could realy do to have a go at the red rose stuff as its a long time till brians next one , thats if i turn up on the right day ! unlike the last 2 , gutted to say the least . Where did you find the 198b , looks a nice bike ,do you prefer it to the 158?

Next ones on the 13th I think, near Nelson. They're really good.

I got the 198b off ebay, its good and rideable (needs shocks and tyres) but a bit tatty to look at. I'm going to ride it and maybe strip and paint next year. Its not that much different to the 158 funily enough - but I think my 158 has been tucked at the head stock. The 198 is a bit lighter and the gearings lower, engines pretty much the same and the suspensions softer (like your 340). I cant afford them both so Im going to have to sell the 158 at some stage soon.

Next ones on the 13th I think, near Nelson. They're really good.

I got the 198b off ebay, its good and rideable (needs shocks and tyres) but a bit tatty to look at. I'm going to ride it and maybe strip and paint next year. Its not that much different to the 158 funily enough - but I think my 158 has been tucked at the head stock. The 198 is a bit lighter and the gearings lower, engines pretty much the same and the suspensions softer (like your 340). I cant afford them both so Im going to have to sell the 158 at some stage soon.

Up to the 150/151 models, the 250 and 325 Sherpas shared the same frames. With the 158/159 models the 250 had a different frame from the 350. It had a bend at the top of the downtube by the headstock and was a shorter bike overall (and had shorter forks) This practise continued to the 190/191models. With the 198/199 models, the 250/350 reverted to sharing the same frame.

May be why your 158 feels as though it has been tucked in.

I don't think the head angle was changed on any of the frames for the 350 models (or later 250) from the 159 to the 199b. It's been said that the 199b had a different head angle (for the tighter sections of the day) but I can't tell any difference riding it from any other.

The 250 is a very under rated bike - everyone seems to want the big model. I've a 198a to be done one day, when I get time.