Majesty Road Legal Help Needed

ausy300pro

I have finished my TY Majesty (well finished mark 0.5, still lots of mods to carry out) and am able to ride trials with it, problem I have is that I want to ride some trials that have road use, I bought the frame from Majesty yamaha as a new mini majesty godden built frame and have not been able to get a dating certificate from the supplier (in spite of being one and having made several requests), anyone any ideas, should I ring shirty or would that be a waste of time ? any help much appreciated asap as I would like to ride the Richmond clubs two day blue bar trial in May.

(ps will post picture if someone tells me how)

I think you are going to have problems getting it registered. If the frame is of a type that was never intended for road use then it will have to be single vehicle type approved. If it was me I would try and get a frame with a log book and either restamp the frame or cut the head stock off and reweld it to the new frame. If the police found out you would probably get locked up. Like I say thats what I would do. I could be talkuing out of me bum also :)

I think you are going to have problems getting it registered. If the frame is of a type that was never intended for road use then it will have to be single vehicle type approved. If it was me I would try and get a frame with a log book and either restamp the frame or cut the head stock off and reweld it to the new frame. If the police found out you would probably get locked up. Like I say thats what I would do. I could be talkuing out of me bum also :)

:agreed: restamp the frame.

The problem with getting a dating certificate from Majesty.co.uk or Shirt is that they probably won't be on the list of approved bodies that DVLA will accept certificates from for an age related plate. When the Majesties were being made originally they were made with approval from Yamaha, so Yamaha probably provided the certificate of newness to get them registered. (the Godden framed ones I mean, obviously the Yam framed bikes wouldn't have been a problem as they had Yamaha frames)

Yamaha UK would never have had any record of Godden frame numbers so nowadays they won't (can't) help.

You could try the Vintage Motorcycle club. They are very pro-active and keen to help. If you can convince them of the age of the bike and they are satisfied, they will issue you with a dating certificate that DVLA will accept and you can get your age related plate. If it is a bike they don't already have a record of they are keen to add new models to their portfolio for reference. They may already have done a Majesty for someone. Remember, from new they were registered as Yamaha TY models, not Majesties.

With the 250 frames, the number began with the year of manufacture, not sure if the smaller frames are the same. If you can find another Majesty that has a registration, show them pictures of the bike/registration and pictures of your bike so that they can see that a similar model has a period registration, which tallies with the chassis prefix, it may be enough. Maybe someone on here could help with that.

The bike doesn't need SVA or anything but DVLA will probably want to inspect it should you get as far as applying for a registration. That entails very little other than checking that you are trying to register what you say you are and making sure the frame number on the bike matches the frame number you have put on the form. Any number alterations therefore, if you acquire another frame, must not look obvious, or questions are going to be asked...

The problem with getting a dating certificate from Majesty.co.uk or Shirt is that they probably won't be on the list of approved bodies that DVLA will accept certificates from for an age related plate. When the Majesties were being made originally they were made with approval from Yamaha, so Yamaha probably provided the certificate of newness to get them registered. (the Godden framed ones I mean, obviously the Yam framed bikes wouldn't have been a problem as they had Yamaha frames)

Yamaha UK would never have had any record of Godden frame numbers so nowadays they won't (can't) help.

You could try the Vintage Motorcycle club. They are very pro-active and keen to help. If you can convince them of the age of the bike and they are satisfied, they will issue you with a dating certificate that DVLA will accept and you can get your age related plate. If it is a bike they don't already have a record of they are keen to add new models to their portfolio for reference. They may already have done a Majesty for someone. Remember, from new they were registered as Yamaha TY models, not Majesties.

With the 250 frames, the number began with the year of manufacture, not sure if the smaller frames are the same. If you can find another Majesty that has a registration, show them pictures of the bike/registration and pictures of your bike so that they can see that a similar model has a period registration, which tallies with the chassis prefix, it may be enough. Maybe someone on here could help with that.

The bike doesn't need SVA or anything but DVLA will probably want to inspect it should you get as far as applying for a registration. That entails very little other than checking that you are trying to register what you say you are and making sure the frame number on the bike matches the frame number you have put on the form. Any number alterations therefore, if you acquire another frame, must not look obvious, or questions are going to be asked...

Dvla office accepted my letter from Shirty, as proof of age and acceptable provenance

No probs whatsoever & all done in 10 mins at the local vehicle office

Just MOT & insure on the frame number & get proof from Shirty or Craig Mawlem

Just out of interest, the Mini Majesty frame in question that Ausy300pro is trying to get registered for road use, was this not a frame that was made from scratch and never intended for road use. If it was not then the SVA should still apply. Good luck getting it on the road whatever way its done.

Thanks for replies, lots of useful info, I did start with a donor bike but unfortunately (hindsight is 20/20 isn't it) I sold the old frame and forks so cannot use that frame number, I was told by craig that he could furnish me with a dating certificate so thought it would not be a problem, have now had a look and cannot find a frame number (amazed with a godden built frame), maybe the ty frame with logbook is the way to proceed (of course I would not dream of just stamping the number and using the majesty frame !), I also like woody,s suggestion of getting pics of a similar road registered bike and using that for a dating reference, so anyone with a frame from a ty especially with log book or pics of or own a road registered 175 Majesty yam please get in touch,

seems to be quite a few twin shock type trials that have a bit of road work so really do want to register it.

(in spite of all the hassle it was worth the work, the new frame and forks are a massive improvement over the old yam frame even though it does not look that different the steering and suspension are much better)