Which Older Trials Bike Would Make The Best Singletrack Trail Bike?

sixstringsteve

I currently ride an '04 Gas Gas Raga for trials, but I'm wanting something for the longer trail rides with my buddies on their modern KTMs. Where I live, we have lots of steep, technical singletrack. My Gas Gas can handle it just fine, but it's almost too easy on that bike. Looking for a great lightweight trail bike. I was leaning towards a TY or a reflex, but I'd love to hear some other options. Street legal is a plus, but not a must. I do not plan on competing with it, just looking for a reliable, fun bike to trail ride around here.

why is it painful? Lack of rear wheel travel? I'm struggling to find a decent trail bike that doesn't weigh a ton and handle like a freight train. I'm thinking something along the likes of the new ossa explorer, only vintage because I can't afford an explorer right now.

Edited by sixstringsteve

Hello sixstringsteve. Have you thought about a Spanish bike. A Bultaco Alpina or an Ossa Explorer or a Montesa Cota T. These were all trailised trials bikes with a larger seat and tanks. The Alpinas also had different gear ratios as well. They all make great trail bike for tight trails. Bully Lover.

why is it painful? Lack of rear wheel travel? I'm struggling to find a decent trail bike that doesn't weigh a ton and handle like a freight train. I'm thinking something along the likes of the new ossa explorer, only vintage because I can't afford an explorer right now.

I am spoiled my modern trials bikes and it is hard to find something else it seems. I have a Serow, but there is no way I am doing serious trails with it, just too heavy and ill handling in tight rough stuff, although I kinda like the thing for playing around.

I guess an old TY could be ok, although a bit heavier, drum brakes, at least it has some basic trials geometry and parts seem readily available. And something of a seat!

What about a Scorpa SY or 4T with a long ride kit?

I had a Beta Alp 2T with the Techno motor, and it was not terrible. yet was still prolly more than 200lbs wet.

An aprilia climber could be found for cheap and the rotax motor gives you the best mpg of any two stroke.

I like the idea of an aprilia. Are parts tough to come by? Did all climbers come with the rotax motor, or only certain years? Any scary things to look out for?

Edited by sixstringsteve

Ok, I've got my eye on a 1990 aprilia climber 280. It needs a stator, but other than that it's in rideable condition. The price is right. I'm just not sure if I can make it feel like a regular dirt bike, or if it'll still feel like a trials bike. I like the torquey motor and the weight.

I'm looking for a bike I can still hang with my buddies on their wr450s in the singletrack. I realize it'll never be a desert blaster, I just want a good all-around bike that's light. I know I know, I want it all in one package, but I'm convinced I can get close.

So your going to save money by buying another bike? I like the way you think!