Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jon v8

Wide Ratio Gears.

3 posts in this topic

As part of my refurb / upgrade project on my HT I want to sort out the gear ratios. It currently has a standard GB road box,which has been made low geared enough with a large rear sprocket and small engine one.But although first is fine,second is too big a jump - then third and top are all done by about 25mph !

So looking at what was originally supplied as a wide ratio box i now know what I need to change.Knowing that the 4 individual cogs,(Mainshaft sleeve,2nd gear mainshaft - then the two layshaft gears they mesh with) are like hens teeth,I wondered about the new ones that were around little while ago.(Why didnt I just buy them then ? )

Are they the same tooth count as the original trials sets or have they gone even lower ? And who was it that did them ?

Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

As you say the standard HT Box GB47 had a what they called a wide ratio. Second gear closer to first. Third as standard ration then a jump to forth. The gears that Mick Ash had made had an extra wide ratio, jump to forth to get a better road speed.

Many years ago i found a Burman box with reverse gear i found that i could use one set of the gears for third gear. My third gear was like a std road box second i could pull third in some sections.

I've been given Mick Ash's number so I might give him a ring,but I've also got a sniff on some original wide ratio gears,I'll maybe find out at our charity trial on sunday,(Plug,plug ! ) what they are likely to be condition/cost wise.