Oset 16.0 Hydraulic Brakes

pedder

I fitted some Clark Skeletal brakes, the rear fitted straight on with no modification, the front just needed the pipe shortening a little. Managed to do this and get it back together without loosing the fluid, so it didn't need bleeding.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clarks-Skeletal-Front-Hydraulic-Disc-Brake-w-185mm-rotor-SX185FW-/190642039718?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item2c6326aba6

The whole job took less than 30 minutes and the difference is amazing.

My daughter simply didn't have enough strength to apply the brakes and the Skeletals are adjustable for both reach and span.

The twin piston hydraulic set up with 185mm wavy discs is superb compared with the single piston cable version fitted as standard.

That said, you get what you pay for, they are not cheap. I'm sure there are less expensive mountin bike brakes that will do the job ok.

I hope this helps.

Pete

Thanks thats a great help,did you buy two front sets or did you buy a front and rear set of the skeletel brake.

I bought a front and a rear. Incidentally, they come with a spare set of pads but after 17 months of use, I am still on the originals.

yes, its a adaptor for the calliper mount 160mm to 180mm , if you still wanted to use the 160mm rotors you just then the mount the adaptor other way when fitting, but using the bigger rotors will give much better braking.

• 4 months later...

Hi

I also modified the brakes om my son's Oset. Each time we went for a ride I had to adjust the tension of the cables. Not very reliable and safe fot the littles ones.

I ordered a set of front and rear handles and the calipers. Also a perfect fit with the existing discs and great stopping power with two fingers. Big improvement.

8020589455_f424d2eae0_z.jpg

8020591127_b7e1a2e65a_z.jpg

8020595390_ea0b232943_z.jpg

By the way the brakes are form Shimano Type Deore

Grtz Hein

Edited by heinzgasgas

• 1 month later...

Bought the Skeletal brakes based on this thread. Disappointed that they don't adjust in closer to the bars. Reach is still too far for a 5yo hand and brakes lock solid well before the lever even gets close to the bars. I've got reach adjustment cranked all the way in and pad contact adjusted all the way out. Was hoping for more adjustment.

My advice to the next person is to keep looking. Maybe we'll find the right brakes out there somewhere.

Bought the Skeletal brakes based on this thread. Disappointed that they don't adjust in closer to the bars. Reach is still too far for a 5yo hand and brakes lock solid well before the lever even gets close to the bars. I've got reach adjustment cranked all the way in and pad contact adjusted all the way out. Was hoping for more adjustment.

My advice to the next person is to keep looking. Maybe we'll find the right brakes out there somewhere.

I'm really suprised that you've found this to be the case, I can adjust both levers so that they actually touch the grips. I'm sorry if my advice has caused you problems.

It probably won't make any difference, but have you got the pads running dead level against the disc?

Pete

Here's a shot of the lever fully adjusted in, (both sides are the same measurement.)

As you can see, the lever is 1 1/2" from the grip at it's nearest point. With it adjusted this close, it does also touch the grip when being applied.

My 4 year old daughter has it adjusted a bit further out than this, as she likes to keep some fingers on the grip when she is braking.

IMG_0044.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Weird. On Cade's bike the lever doesn't even come close to the bar. Full braking it's still at least an inch away. I'd like to get it closer. Released it's probably close to the 1.5" you show but the lever doesn't move more the about 0.5" under full braking. That's with the contact point cranked all the way out and the lever cranked all the way in. I was hoping I'd be able to take out the piston rod and thread it down a little farther to get it cranked in a little bit more. No luck. Looks like I'll be heating and bending the lever a little bit. It's not the end of the world but I was hoping if I spent $100/wheel it would be easier. I set the caliper position the way I do on my Mtn bikes. Loosen the mount, lock the brakes to square up and center the caliper, tighten the mounts.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is another option - AVID Elixir 1

No fitment issues and the master cylinder can be flipped to allow either left or right hand, also reach adjustable.

I did not measure the reach, but my 6 year old has no problems and is already wearing out the rear tire with his drive way skids.

DSCN0118.jpg

at the engagement point

DSCN0111.jpg

DSCN0112.jpg