Triumph Cub

danw43

after reading a lot of posts on here about lightening a cub clutch ive tonight lengthened the actuator lever on mine added a strengthening bar to it,and it works.

Just waiting for a new clutch cable then im gonna drill the inner case to reposition the cable, and all should be sorted.

The next job is to attach a engine breather but where does the end of the pipe on the engine breather run to,any help would be greatly appreciated.

Another job is going to be fitting a wider swing arm,i love this hobby already.

First trial on the 6th of may cant wait now.

put the open end of the breather as high as possible to keep water etc out.. put a small air filter ( foam ) on it to be doubly sure.

plenty of thoughts of how to do a wide swing arm .. my preference is to keep the original spindle width but many like to chop it literally in half and add 20/25mm between the two lugs. one on ebay at the moment inc. sidestand and chain tensioner.

thanks totalshell,thats my thoughts too,im bidding on the e-bay item at mo,gonna use a offset front sprocket,and offset the rear cog to suit and leave everything else in the c/line of the bike then shim to suit,and use a 4.00 rear tyre,that should give me all the clearance i need,then have a good look at the clutch make sure its all set up properly,then a good look at the tappets carb and timing as it seems to be bogging down a bit,although its got a electronic kit on it,hopefully have it all sorted by the 6th may

would it be possible to scollop out both arms and plate up with a thicker plate to get clearance for the tyre.

Then to lengthen it remove the axle plates off the end of the arm,get some 25mm longer slugs to fit in the arm and extend out by 25 mm then reweld new lugs onto the ends,a bit like the armac swing arm spindle lugs?

does that sound feasable,any pitfalls,problems any one can see

Dan

would it be possible to scollop out both arms and plate up with a thicker plate to get clearance for the tyre.

Then to lengthen it remove the axle plates off the end of the arm,get some 25mm longer slugs to fit in the arm and extend out by 25 mm then reweld new lugs onto the ends,a bit like the armac swing arm spindle lugs?

does that sound feasable,any pitfalls,problems any one can see

Dan

I like your thinking. Only problem i might see is falling fowl of a clubs eligability criteria? Be nice to see some piccys when you have it done. Not that any bike is ever "done" there's always something new to be modded eh? :thumbup:

• Like 1

how would it affect club elegibilty,most run different classes,ie specials,and at the end of the day its a bit of fun for me on a sunday,dont think ill be at all competitive at first to be honest,as its my first off road bike in 28 yrs,lol

totalshell,i got outbid unfortunately,so plan b now,alter the existing,cant be that hard,thats one advantage of working for a large military aircraft company lots of machines and stuff to play with lol

There is lots you can do to a Cub with a modest workshop. I did the following to mine (see photo's on pre 65 forum):

Widened and lengthened swing arm.

Fitted chain tensioner and side stand.

Fitted Sammy Miller Swing Arm Bushes

Fitted plastic chain rub block to top of swing arm

Modified swing arm to fit snail cam adjusters

Made detachable front engine mount plates (with adjustable offset)

Made Ally Bashplate and mounts.

Fitted External Oil Filter (from e bay) as it adds 1/2l oil capacityMade and fitted Top Tube Oil Tank

Put inspection hole/push rod fitting hole in top of cyinder head.

Varoius rockershaft mods.

Put drilled sicencer bush inside exhaust (to create more back pressure and quieten it down a bit)

Fitted Taper head bearings with Montesa Yolkes and Forks (best improvement to date!)

Electronic ignition and delorto carb (Jury still out on this!)

Alloy tank and plastic mudguards

And plenty more. My point is you don't need to spend vast sums of money to make significant improvements yourself.................but it helps!

Look at as many other bikes as you can for ideas and inspiration. They don't even need to be Cubs!

Good luck with the build,

Bruce.

I realise that its all possible and aim to do all the work myself,could you point me in the direction of the pre65 forum,as computers arent as strong a point as my fabrication skillls lol

Edited by danw43

well the clutch cable arrived last night,unfortunately from what i can gather the levers on an original cub must have had a smaller nipple hole,than on newer replacement levers and as such doesnt fit,new cable ordered get that fitted and see how the mods have worked,pretty sure im gonna have to strip the clutch as it was dragging originally,but thats no biggy,ill try and get some pics up as soon as possible.

well i finally managed to get in the garage tonight and solder the end nipple onto the clutch cable tonight,works a treat doesnt even drag any more so thats a bonus.

i hear i need to seal up the scavenge hole in the primary side and seal the clutch cable entry points old and new and theres an easy mod to primary case to do so any oil and water can be drained easily,

swing arm next i think a lot of measuring and fabrication,think i am just going to scallop the sides(for clearance)and get some slugs and plates made up to lengthen by 25 mm.lets see how that goes next week,wish me luck folks,so far it ows me for a clutch cable and thats it so far

Edited by danw43

in the garage again tonight,tappets set runs a bit better but still bogging down under fast throttle,more investigation needed i think,but think itll have to wait a while,i think ive upset the missus enough for a while,and frst tial a week today!!!!! thats come around a bit quic,wish me luck folksi