2006 290Cc

popmonkey69

I'm looking at buying a 06 290cc

Is there anything, common problem wise, to look for ?

Cheers

I would take a close look to the frame, make sure no crack is present. Check the bridge part that links the left and right side of the frame near the radiator. From 2007+ the frame was designed differently to address this issue.

My 2006 frame broke near the front engine mounting bolts on both sides. I don't think this was common however (and the bike was 5 years old when it happened). It was easily repaired by rewelding it, but it's worth checking if you're to buy one. I can dig pictures I took and send them to you so it's easier to locate the spots I am talking about. Overall a very good bike in my experience. Nothing else that I remember being major.

The '06 did suffer from a stress point inducing cracking in the upper front above the radiator. Many of these frames were replaced under warranty. If the bike has been well ridden and it is not cracked, it is probally fine.

Condition and maintenance of rear suspension linkage and bearings is allways a potential issue.

The stock rear shocker was poor and leaked the oil out. Junk it if it is done!

Otherwise, be your own judge of the general condition, not a bad bike when sorted.

Cheers boys

The one I was going to look at is now sold :(

I take it the 125/250 is the same frame ?

How are the 125's for a beginner bike bearing in mind I'm knocking on 15st ?

Apologies for all the questions but I don't want to rush into a bike just to need another a few months later.......

Cheers boys

The one I was going to look at is now sold :(

I take it the 125/250 is the same frame ?

How are the 125's for a beginner bike bearing in mind I'm knocking on 15st ?

Apologies for all the questions but I don't want to rush into a bike just to need another a few months later.......

Same basic frame and all, 125 will get you around and they are gentile to ride, up to a point. A 125 has no real torque down low. You gotta rev them to make them go. Below (X)RPM they will not pull you, requires better riding teknique in the sections, and more difficult to master, therefore I (having owned one) can only say that I prefer a larger bike.

250 is nice, newer the better as they seem softer than say '05 models.