New Piston And Barrell Rechromed How Long Run In

leckers78

Got a 1993 GG just bought a new piston/rings and had the barrell re-chromed (re-sleeved) new little bearing and a gasket set

How long should it be run in for etc

I usually like to run the engine for about 15 minutes just to check things and then let it cool off. Check the coolant level just to be sure. Then the easy way is to take it out for an easy section ride, avoiding heavy load or high RPMs. I ride about 15 minutes and let it cool off 2 times and then it should be ready to use. Keep track of engine temp (usually not a problem) during break-in. Some riders run a slightly richer premix ratio during break-in (say 50:1).

The initial low-load, on/off throttle riding in an easy section is probably the best way to bed things in and avoid "hot spots" on the piston. Be sure to re-torque the cylinder and head fasteners. The head capscrew copper washers will compress slightly at first running and re-torqueing them will avoid o-ring leaks in the future. It's been my experience that most oil leakage and o-ring failures on a new bike can be avoided by just going over all the fasteners after a few heat cycles.

Jon

use the whole rev range through running in. i do a simple session, use all the gears, stop and start it hot and cold then home and re torque it all up check fluids etc. then your ready to ride.

i 'd always make sure its warmed up properly before doing any riding.