315 Splitting Engine

skippy1234

hi all,was wondering if there are any hicups in splitting a 315 engine to replace mains,have done a beta rev 3 with no probs as everything internal stays on the left hand casing ,does the 315 split the same ,also i am looking for an exploded view of the engine its a 98 -315 cota honda engine,also parts list with the bearing numbers ,thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I'm preparing to replace the mains in my 315 also. Could anyone advise on the following:

Special Tools - Looks like I need to buy

- a M30 flywheel puller

-some sort of clutch or flywheel holder

-crankcase puller

-crankcase assembly tool

I can have use of a press and bearing puller. Have I missed anything ? Can I do without any of these items ? Presumably ebay will be ok to source them, but are there any particular models of any of these tools that are best for price / ease of use ?

Gaskets - Is it possible to buy a decent quality complete gasket set cheaper, instead of buying them all seperately from Sandifords ?

Neutral Gear - it's virtually impossible to select neutral with the engine running. Is this down to wear ? Is there anything I can do about this whilst the engine is on the bench, or is it just a characteristic that I'll have to live with ?

(I understand recommending suppliers is not allowed on this board, but please do PM me if you know of anywhere that can help with the above tools and / or parts)

• 1 month later...

Got the job done. Special tools needed are crankcase puller and flywheel puller - I was incorrrect above - the flywheel puller is 32mm x 1.5mm pitch l/h thread. It's an unusual size: this firm can make custom pullers. I don't think there is much advantage to buying the main bearings from an engineering shop - the expensive parts are the seals.