Can Someone Talk Me Through The Process

lacey9

Why can't you get plain and inexpensive stuff?

now that's a whole thread in itself...

I'm the fool that thinks its OK to ride in steel toe capped wellies.

Assuming they are still available, I'm sure someone will tell me the error of my ways. ;)

Ok, so I've come from an AMCA Motocross background so the process was I joined my nearest club, Joined the AMCA, got my licence. Attended club nights once a week and booked in for available meetings within my group, paid the club chairman, I'd get my confirmation slip in the post that week. Roll up at 7.30 on a Sunday Morning, hand over my slip at the gate, Gear up etc. Practice, 3 races, go home in pain and soak in the tub for a few hours.

As a complete novice to Trials I just wondered of someone could guide me through the process involved in competing in a club trial. I'm not an AMCA member anymore but am willing to re-join if that will give a wider scope of meetings available. Is most booking online/telephone or turn up on the day and book in?

What should I expect on competition day? Track walk etc?

I'm based in the northants area? Anywhere I should be looking for localish regs?

Basically I don't want to make a complete fool of myself on my first trial or get in anybodies way and spoil their day.

Pop down to our practice ground at Milton keynes and have a ride out, we have club trials there, think there is one on the 12th it will be very straight forward and show you what to do.

now that's a whole thread in itself...

I'm the fool that thinks its OK to ride in steel toe capped wellies.

Assuming they are still available, I'm sure someone will tell me the error of my ways. ;)

That sounds similar to the spiked wellies that I have seen for sale as wet weather golf shoes in France!!!

My training day at Tricks in the Sticks last June was in t shirt, jeans and mx boots - I've still got the scars from the left foot kickstart in my calf.

• Like 1

No blonde models down here sadly.

I won't even wear trials clothing as it would look stupid on my 6'3 57 year old body.

And it's ridiculously expensive.

I've got a plainish pair of mx jeans and some cycling tops for summer use and I wear my trail riding waterproof trousers in the winter wet or a cheapo pair of thin waterpoofs over the mx jeans.

Why can't you get plain and inexpensive stuff?

Simples the market just isnt there in enough qty to make it viable. The people who want the "plain and inexpensive stuff" dont want to pay a reasonable price for it plus they expect it to last 10 years. If you were a manufacturer or retailer i am sure you would agree it wouldnt make financial sense. The road race, road riders and moto cross lads dont mind paying for stuff so they get the choice of equipment. Trials riders never put their hands in their pockets unless they have tried every other alternative under the sun so they have to make do with what is available, usually more than they want to pay.

Use what you got then decide what you need. If you are happy in rubber wellies ride in rubber wellies.

Edited by Old trials fanatic

Simples the market just isnt there in enough qty to make it viable. The people who want the "plain and inexpensive stuff" dont want to pay a reasonable price for it plus they expect it to last 10 years. If you were a manufacturer or retailer i am sure you would agree it wouldnt make financial sense. The road race, road riders and moto cross lads dont mind paying for stuff so they get the choice of equipment. Trials riders never put their hands in their pockets unless they have tried every other alternative under the sun so they have to make do with what is available, usually more than they want to pay.

Use what you got then decide what you need. If you are happy in rubber wellies ride in rubber wellies.

Is that really true though?

I can't believe that subtle® gear wouldn't sell in sufficient quantity.

The lairy stuff only sells because it's all you can get.

I don't mind a reasonable price but some of the prices seem crazy - £100 for a pair of trials pants - why? I can buy good waterpoof breathable enduro trousers for less than that.

I know some stuff is cheaper (Wulf) but that's about it as far as I can see.

Dressing like a Lampkin and riding like a 2 year old really doesn't work. You look a pillock.

I'm trying not to go there. :(

Is that really true though?

I can't believe that subtle® gear wouldn't sell in sufficient quantity.

The lairy stuff only sells because it's all you can get.

I don't mind a reasonable price but some of the prices seem crazy - £100 for a pair of trials pants - why? I can buy good waterpoof breathable enduro trousers for less than that.

I know some stuff is cheaper (Wulf) but that's about it as far as I can see.

Dressing like a Lampkin and riding like a 2 year old really doesn't work. You look a pillock.

I'm trying not to go there. :(

I find the wulf stuff good for the price but the riders in these parts dont want to spend ANY money even on pants iro £65 and tops iro £30 as for boots unless they are sub £90 forget it. There's one guy who still rides in ex NCB rubber wellies that must be 20 years old and loads of Elgren patched up tops and pants. Then of course theres the blue overalls boy !

I suppose at the end of the day thats why there are so few trials orientated dealers about. They all starved to death waiting for a customer to buy something :chairfall:

Fair comment.

Makes you wonder why an 'off road' dealer that covers, MX, enduro, trail and trials can't make things work off the back of a road bike shop.

It needs to be dedicated otherwise you just get the 16 year old kid R1 fanatic advising on which bike to get.

I will ignore the P&H's of this world as I have never been impressed with them anyway.

As far as I know, there are only two trials oriented shops in the south east. One near Tunbridge Wells and the other in Maidstone, which narrows the options a bit.

Ironically it's one of those situations where the little guy can't really make it work without diversifying.

It's similar to my golf club...the pro only stocks expensive gear and then moans when everyone goes to M&S or Debenhams or buys discounted stuff online - it's not a moneyed club so why stock just the trendy clothing etc?

Thanks for all the replies folks. Lots of info to digest.

My early retirement from MX came about due to the overt intensity and as some have pointed out, nasty rivalry. So Trials seems to be the answer. Still getting to ride a bike, test my own skills, learn some new skills without all the bitterness and ill feeling that came with amateur MX.

I just want to have some fun and test myself with out all the melodrama.

From the replies here it seems that Trials is a very easy sport to get into and get started with once you have a bike, boots and helmet etc. Just what I'm looking for.

SSD here I come. :lol:

Nene Valley Club have a trial this Sunday (6/5/12) at Glendon Quarry near Kettering. See their website for details http://www.nenevalleytrials.co.uk/

Ill be the fat bloke on the Fantic 240 if you need help

Edited by Blocky

Once again, great info.

I will be popping along to the Nene Valley Trial on Sunday and I have sent you an email Nigel regarding the MK club.

You'll be pleased to know I won't be in a 60 foot motorhome with 3 bikes, mechanic, dozen sets of gear and sealed gazebo with autograph area. I have a modest budget of just 3k to get me set-up with bike, gear and trailer so no showboating from my corner.

Edited by Lacey9

You can save yourself a fortune on riding gear. I use steel toe cap wellies, a leather Mankini and gardening gloves.

When I use this outfit I always get really good scores off the lady observers and all other competitors seem to not want to look at me and follow behind.

You can save yourself a fortune on riding gear. I use steel toe cap wellies, a leather Mankini and gardening gloves.

When I use this outfit I always get really good scores off the lady observers and all other competitors seem to not want to look at me and follow behind.

I would have to draw the line at gardening gloves, have you no self respect ?

I know blokes that pay good money, at certain places , to dress like that but I think they trawl different forums !!!