James Help Needed

gautrek

Hi guys.

A mate at work has just purchased a James 197 off fleabay.The engine was stripped and has been rebuilt but may need a re bore.When they attempted to rebuild the top end it would appear That the oil ring is missing.So can anyone help source a ring set for this bike.

The only issue is that its an AMC engine.I have been told these are not worth bothering with due to many issues.So would he be better sourcing a Villers engine to fit instead?

oh absolutely definately certainly ditch the amc unit. plenty fof 8e complete units on ebay pay circa 100 for a complete engine and 3spd box. lots of work to do though..Simon bateman at Nametab is yer man for knowledge and ALL the villiers stuff you could ever wish for.

Edited by totalshell

Hi guys.

A mate at work has just purchased a James 197 off fleabay.The engine was stripped and has been rebuilt but may need a re bore.When they attempted to rebuild the top end it would appear That the oil ring is missing.So can anyone help source a ring set for this bike.

The only issue is that its an AMC engine.I have been told these are not worth bothering with due to many issues.So would he be better sourcing a Villers engine to fit instead?

Why would you have an oil ring, assume you mean oil control ring on the piston?, on a two stroke?

Agreed dump the AMC engine they are waste of space too big and useless other than as an anchour.

Well i had a chat with the guy who owns the bike and he is thinking of going for a Villiers engine.I just have a question.I assume they fit straight in and he would just need to sort an exhaust pipe.Oh and will any Villiers engines fit.As I know nothing about 2 smokes.

In fact he didn't like my suggestion of throwing the whole thing in the canal. :hyper:

Edited by gautrek