Evo No Spark

betarick

HI all! my 290 2011 evo died tonight and as no spark! tried disconecting kill switch checked all wiring conectors spark plug and cap! do evos suffer with sator failure? as i had to replace one on my old rev3! also before it died i have had a fault on my fan and it was running all the time even when starting from cold, i did disconect fan switch and it stopped so i left it connected and thought it was better it going all the time than not at all! would fan running all the time had an efect on stator and made it fail? cheers for any replys.

Edited by betarick

yes, replace one on mine at 8 months old.

I was just entering a section, and it stopped, wouldn't believe it at first, swap all parts of identical bike to make sure, got it under warrenty so not so bad, but still................

On a "Positve" note - We have not had any Stator failures on any Evos in Canada ( maybe it's the air) - One thing to check on the 09/010 is the level in the rad as the thermostat is at the top - ( Changed to bottom for 2012)

Cheers

Outlaw Dave

(Beta Dealer)

yes, replace one on mine at 8 months old.

I was just entering a section, and it stopped, wouldn't believe it at first, swap all parts of identical bike to make sure, got it under warrenty so not so bad, but still................

i checked coolant level when i noticed fan going all the time and it was fine to top of radiator . Will this fan problem put extra load on stator and made it fail ? Will be ringing lampkins today to see what can be done !

The fan and the ignition are separate as far as the statoir is concerned.

Lampkins (BETA UK) is just at Keigthly and I would think with a 2011 you may get it sorted under warranty even if it is a bit over a year old.

Cheers

posted this one some while ago ,on our 250 evo it was the kill switch connector on the loom, not the kill switch itself, part the two wires &fit after market killswitch, the connector is behind the headlamp

i took original beta switch off bike when it was New as i have had trouble with them before ! It is not the kill switch as i have disconnected it. anyone know which wires to test stator ingnition coil?

Edited by betarick

Gday, search back through this forum, I posted some specs for my EVO ignition about 1 year ago. These will give you a starting point to work from.

PS - dont think that stator failures are restricted to Beta's - other bikes have them as well, they just dont talk about them as much... :-)

Cheers,

Stork

Gday, just found these in my Beta folder. Measured directly from my running 2010.

Source Coil

Blue and Red

resistance - 316 ohms. No circuit to ground.

output at kickover - 25 V AC

Trigger Coil

White and Black

resistance - 336 ohms. No ground.

output at Kickover - 0.3 v AC

Coil Secondary

measured from plug cap to ground

Resistance - 10.17 K Ohms

Coil Primary

White/red trace

Measured between CDI connector and ground.

Resistance 0.4 ohms

Ground

Brown

0 ohms circuit to ground.

Cheers,

Stork

Gday, just found these in my Beta folder. Measured directly from my running 2010.

Source Coil

Blue and Red

resistance - 316 ohms. No circuit to ground.

output at kickover - 25 V AC

Trigger Coil

White and Black

resistance - 336 ohms. No ground.

output at Kickover - 0.3 v AC

Coil Secondary

measured from plug cap to ground

Resistance - 10.17 K Ohms

Coil Primary

White/red trace

Measured between CDI connector and ground.

Resistance 0.4 ohms

Ground

Brown

0 ohms circuit to ground.

Cheers,

Stork

Thanks for testing figures will go find my multimetre.

Here are my readings source coil 1.286 K OHMS trigger coil 361 ohms coil secondary 9.70k ohms coil primary 0.4 ohms brown 0 ohms Do these figures make sense? i have noticed that fan turns when i kickstart it!

Edited by betarick

Well confirmed evo still have the beta stator failure tonight tryed my cdi and coil on a running evo tonight and they are both fine spare bike runs with them! I removed stator which looks like new no rust or mud as i allways remove cover after washing bike and leave to dry till i next ride bike.Tested stator again with multimetre and got a reading of 1.278 kohms on source coil measured across red and blue wires at cdi multiplug! should only be about 350ohms! so all that worry about cdi stuck to side of engine and getting damaged forget as stator will f--kup before you bash that!

Edited by betarick