Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ben3010

James Headset

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, does anybody know where I can source a new headset for my James (55K7) thanks.

Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

if the ball races are shot rather than the balls nows the time to go taper roller, easy/ cheap and better!

Hi,

I restored a basket case 1955 James Commando last year and found the steering head ball races completely worn and decided that taper roller bearings were the answer, this involved turning up a upper and lower taper bearing race carrier from Mild steelf to fit in the frame headstock, then turn down the existing spindle to suit the bores of the taper bearings, its well worth the effort to modify the steering away from the ball and cones - I doubt they are available anymore. Hope this helps.

hey brian, i did a similar thing with my rocket 3 away back in the 70's only had to make 'rings' for the frame, the spindle was a dead match for vaxhaul viva wheel tapers ;)

I doubt they are available anymore.

I got some for a BSA from a cycle shop a while ago, think they were bottom bracket bearings.

Edited by B40RT

Hey many thanks for the replys, I was thinking taper roller but wondered if this was possible, so great I'll get the lathe powered up, cheers.