95 Fantic Section Stator Test?

cafe55

Don't waste money on a new pickup - the readings you have taken suggest it is OK.

I think you need to double check the wiring between the stator and the coil, make sure the wires are plugged in to the correct terminals on the coil, use a new copper core HT lead screwed securely in to the coil and check for a spark from the end of it to the head (no plug cap).

If you are going to buy anything new buy a new coil.

Grib,

OK. I'll start from the beginning and re-check the wiring including the HT cable w/out the plug.

If I don't get spark or say a weak one, I've heard that bump starting generates a stronger spark than normal kick starting. Just wondering if this is true and if it might make a difference. Thing is, I'd hate to have and bump start this thing all the time just to be able to ride it........

Isaac,

You shouldn't have to bump start it if there is nothing wrong with it. Before you start re-checking I would disconnect everything except the Red Green and White wires, (including the kill switch if there is one - this goes between the 4th terminal on the coil and ground).

Grib,

Hooked everything back together again - new HT wire (tested with and without spark boot), new spark plug and boot. Still no spark--arggg!

I just put in an order for a new Ducati CDI/coil today. Got my fingers crossed this time and hoping it was just two bad coils.

I'll let you know the outcome as soon as I install it.

Thanks,

Isaac

Are the red white and green wires definitely on the correct terminals (rosso, bianco, & verde), and is the HT lead screwed firmly in to the coil? If they are then a new coil is probably the best bet. Unlucky to have two bad ones if thats what it is.

Have you checked for continuity between the stator backplate and the frame?

Grib,

I'm STOKED! Received the new Ducati coil yesterday and installed it. Got a big'o blue spark right off the bat. What a relief..........

Want to thank you for time you took to help find the problem with this bike. If I ever make to the Isle of Man or you get to California all the beer is on me :beer: .

Lessons learned:

1.) Never ever trust used electrical components unless you can compare to a known functioning component.

2.) Verify all other components in the system are to spec and/or functioning.

3.) Most of all don't give up. Some one's bound to have the answer or has gone through a similar experience and can help - especially here on this forum........

Now to get this bike in shape for riding with some cleaning and minor cosmetic repairs.

I'll be starting a new thread on fluid recommendations next.

Many thanks again.

Isaac

Glad to hear you have got it sorted; its unlucky to have two bad coils and, as you say, you should never assume a component is OK - after all assumption is the mother of most f*ck ups.

• 6 years later...

Hi fellows. Interesting. We have Fantic 240Pro with same issue(s). 

Connected a new DUCATI Energia blue coil and.....no spark. Is there a way to see if perhaps this coil is bad?

And from the stator comes 3 wires:

Green, Black,Red. What would be correct ohm readings of these wires? And are they measured against each other or to chassis ground?

thank you.