Bsa C15 With Electrexworld Ignition

deanod24

hi all recently finished my project bsa c15 trials bike fitted with the above ignition system,all is well with the bike until it warms up then it develops a very bad misfire and loss of power,the engine has had complete overhaul the carb has been stripped and cleaned and all jets have been renewed just wondered if anybody has had any problems with these ignition systems as i am starting to think that the coil/cdi unit may be faulted.

thanks chris

Have you looked at the spark when the engine is hot enough to play up ? It could also be an air leak causing a weak mixture or even a tight tappet.

Those Electrex world units have a very good reputation - but there can always be an exception.

Those Electrex world units have a very good reputation - but there can always be an exception.

Depends who you talk to, I know three people who have had real problems with them - wrong polarity, timinng way out, advance curve retarding too soon and the after sales service and ability to sort the problems out hasn't been as good as it should have been.

Conversely, I know there are people who are quite happy with them.

So all I'm inferring is don't rule out the igniion, it could be at fault.

Hi there, Was powder coating/painting the frame part of your project? If it was make sure the coil bracket is free of paint for a good earth between the coil and the frame, also make sure there is good electrical contact between at least one engine lug and the frame. A poor earth can cause mysterious faults. All the best.

Edited by Tayld

hi all thanks for the posts have been in touch with a mate who has a c15 he has removed the carb from his bike so i can try it on my bike if it performs the same going to have to say its the ignition,as for paint or powder coat was hand painted didnt want to spend the money on powder coat to ride off road and get scratched etc never painted the coil bracket so should have a good earth, but do think i will find a way to get a better earth as that idea sounds like a good idea,

cheers chris

• 1 month later...

Hi all , Just read about your ignition problems and it was the same trouble as my brother was having on a b40 with elextrxworld ignition. We tried all what has been said and the problem was still the same. Fed up and about to retire from yet another trial a fellow bsa rider asked if the plug gap was set to the correct thou, It was and he said that was the trouble. Open the gap a lot more was his solution. Bingo no more trouble a perfect running b40. Hope this cures your problems as well.

• 2 years later...

Interesting as my cub has a similar problem As for the HT coil it is all plastic mounting bracket I believe my carburation is out but so could the timing as the stator is mounted on the outer clutch case so timing is a problem Starts first or second kick when cold No misfire just hard to start when hot It has only done one trial since I built it so more work needed

• 4 years later...

3 hours ago, M3EMH said:

Chris,

did you ever get to the bottom of the electrex World misfire on the C15.

i have exactly the same symptoms.

thanks Paul.

Chris hasn't been on since 2012, so don't hold your breath .....