Fan Cutting Out / Also Overheating Prob

scorpa01

just wanna check some thing with you fan kicks in but when i rev the bike or start moving again it cuts out and stops but as soon as i release the revs or stop the bike it kicks in again is this normal its a 2001 sy250.

also did a trial at weekend and it was on the hills had to go up a long steep hill to get to the next section and bike started to overheat and produce steam from top of the rad.

please dont think its to do with the fan as its been like this since i bought the bike but the overheating has only just occured and had the bike about 10 month so any help welcomed

cheers james

just wanna check some thing with you fan kicks in but when i rev the bike or start moving again it cuts out and stops but as soon as i release the revs or stop the bike it kicks in again is this normal its a 2001 sy250.

also did a trial at weekend and it was on the hills had to go up a long steep hill to get to the next section and bike started to overheat and produce steam from top of the rad.

please dont think its to do with the fan as its been like this since i bought the bike but the overheating has only just occured and had the bike about 10 month so any help welcomed

cheers james

I seem to recall this on a scorpa a number of years ago. Try an email to mike at the tryals shop in the US,as burkett may be in scotland. Seems a little black box, regulator or rectifier?

If the fan is working properly it won't do that.

It should kick in when the coolant gets too hot and turn off again when the fan's done it's job.

Either the thermostat is bad, the connections are dirty on the thermostat or elsewhere, or the wiring is bad somewhere.

On my scorpa there is a connection under the seat, 3 wires in with a white connector, the two outer wires are connected by a simple loop, that connection was poor - I ended up bending the contacts to ensure good continuity.

If the coolant gets too hot it will boil. You should have a black plastic tube from the top of the rad cap to take overflow away down to the bash plate area. I have the pipe pointing outwards to make the escaping steam obvious.

I carry a small jumper wire to bypass the thermostat and have the fan permanently on incase he thermostat doesn't cut in.

Hope this helps.

Edited by BigMike1961
  • Like 1