Boot Choice

popsicle

Boot Choice  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which boot would you choose?

• Sidi
    • Gearne
    • Alpinestars

Hi there, yes I'm well aware there is numerous other threads pertaining to boots. However I have not really found anything useful in my choice of new boots. I am looking for honest reviews, pro's & con's of the Sidi, Gearne, and Alpinestar brand of boots. I have so far gathered this limited amount of info (feel free to correct it, if I am misinformed). I currently wear a size 44 Gearne boot, with a wool sock and it feels like it has some slop, but I am only 16, so there is the potential for growth as well I would like to incorporate wearing seal skins on the days it requires, so I am unsure on sizing. I am hoping the forum will be able to help, in all regards. Thank you.

Sidi's

Pros: As I understand have a good warranty pertaining to broken buckles etc, comfortable, nice flex.

Cons: Not "true" leather? Poor grip, Not a great life expectancy.

Gearne's

Pros: Comfy, able to be resoled, decent life expectancy, good grip, true split-grain leather, Supposedly waterproof?

Cons: Fit wide, Sole wears fast, fit tight on calves.

Alpinestar's

Pros: Comfy, good grip, hard wearing, fit big

Cons: Soles wear fast, fit tight on calves, not as "waterproof" as other boots, not resoleable.

Hi can't say about the Sidi boots as I haven't tried them. Bought a set or Gearnes and realised after ten minutes how little ankle support they offer, jumped off the bike landed and pop!!! I had an ankle like a balloon and three weeks on sticks! After comparing to my my trusted Alpinestars the Gearnes offer about as much sideways protection as a set of wellies. Never again!

Alpinestars might not last the longest but in my opinion offer the best fit and protection.

i know they are not on your list, but i really like my Hebo boots.

they are light and comfortable, and also offer good grip.

i dont know about the longevity of them, as its my first pair.

i got no complaints with mine at all. ive even come off in rivers etc and my feet stay bone dry.

Cannot agree with the statement that the soles wear fast on Alpine Stars, only boots I have worn the soles out on were Gearnes. Boots are like helmets, each a personal preference and fit.

Cannot agree with the statement that the soles wear fast on Alpine Stars, only boots I have worn the soles out on were Gearnes. Boots are like helmets, each a personal preference and fit.

Thank you for your reply, this is exactly the kind of information I am looking for!

Bump, Still looking for more info! : )

The rate at boots wear out depends heavily upon your weight ! and how spikey your footrests are. I seem to tear them to pieces. I blame the footrests ha ha

I found Sidi to be useless, like concret blocks n low on shin scar to prove. They have to many bits n soon the stitching comes undone.

Alpine stars are like slippers n grip well, also last well I've abused mine n 5 years on still useable

• 4 weeks later...

I've had my Gearne's for about 10 years now and I'm very pleased with them. they fit my wide feet very well. The soles are very grippy on and off the bike.

They were only waterproof for the first 2 or 3 years if I recal correctly. The soles only wear mildly on the place where they touch the pegs. The rest of the sole is like new.

In last weeks (very:-) muddy trial in Luxemburg, my feet got realy wet. I noticed a cut in the upper part of the footbed. So I'm looking out for a new pair trial boots.

I'm considering bying Gearne's again or, if anyone can convince me, maybe Alpinestars but they have to be wide enough to fit my feet.

Any suggestion is welcome :-)

I rate my Gaernes highly on comfort, good grip, not so good protection and overall quality is good. As for the waterproof thing I'm not a great fan - they don't seem to keep the water out for long but they're very good at keeping the water in! I prefer non waterproof boots and seal skin socks.

Not on your list but I bought a pair of discounted Askew boots last year just to have as spares while the Gaernes were drying out. I'd have been better buying a pair of antique diving boots! Never again.

GJ

• Like 1

Every Alpinestars owner i spoke told me it was the best boot they ever had, so I bought me a pair of Alpine's to.

Will let you know how they stand the test of time in a couple of years ;-)