Rendezvous With French Mistress

trialsryder

Yes, the little French mistress and I had a rendezvouz today, and boy was it dirty. I stole a few hours today to take out my new-to-me '07 SY250 out for a spin. I unloaded the bike and turned the gas on, as usual, and got dressed. When I attempted to start the bike - hydro-locked. The motor was filled with gas. Yeah...it was that good.

So, I threw my gloves at the truck, uttered a whole bunch of choice words fit for the dirty little mistress that she is, and tore the bike down. There I was, carburetor torn apart on the tailgate of my truck, bike upside down draining fuel from the cylinder, in 90 degrees Ferhenheit. By God's grace I had some compressed air in a can, and a can of brake cleaner.

When it was all drained, dried, and put back together, I kicked it about ten times and it went "Woof". "At least I can ride." Or so I thought.

I put my helmet on, kicked it again and it fired, blew a bunch of smoke, bogged down, and died. Another kick, fired good, bogged, died, and would not restart. I am hoping the plug is just fouled. I kicked it again when I arrived home (hour later) nothing. I am very suspicious. Anyone have any thoughts?

Edited by TrialsRyder

(Barry White voice over required) :camgavhl:

You've got to take your time B) with your ride :wub: ,use lots of thought and consideration to get her prepared for action first :banana: ,don't just drag her around then pounce on her.When the time is ready;Let your hands do the work at first,just feel your way around with your fingers (so you can do it without looking down :thumbup: ) ... turning the fuel tap ,I mean ;)

Don't worry you aren't the first to go home early because you couldn't keep your spark :D

(Barry White voice over required) :camgavhl:

You've got to take your time B) with your ride :wub: ,use lots of thought and consideration to get her prepared for action first :banana: ,don't just drag her around then pounce on her.When the time is ready;Let your hands do the work at first,just feel your way around with your fingers (so you can do it without looking down :thumbup: ) ... turning the fuel tap ,I mean ;)

Don't worry you aren't the first to go home early because you couldn't keep your spark :D

:agreed::rotfl: Classic :rotfl::banana2:

Glenn

Sensible answer! Float valve is not shutting off, could be grit in valve or float is split or hieght needs adjusting.

strip it down again, put your mouth over the nozzle whilst lightly feeling underneath with your finger, suck and blow and you should feel resistance.

good luck!

TLTEL

When an engine is that flooded, every kick will wet the plug. No spark with a wet plug. Might just leave the plug out a day or two. Give it a kick every so often. Use the kill button if kicking with the plug out. Don`t want the boys having a laugh at your expense, burning the bike before you even ride it!!

The best way to dry out a flooded crankcase is to take the plug out move the HT lead well out of the way, put the biker in top gear, hold the kill button in and throttle fully open and run down the road with the bike as the engine turns over it will spit any fuel out of the plug hole and dry it out!

Pay somone else to fix it!!! :icon_salut:

I am not too far from that now.

Today I put in a fresh spark plug. I turned the engine over with the plug against the head, but was unable to see any spark. I put it together and tried to start it (thinking maybe I could not see the spark) but alas, no fire. I could puke. I will be doing a search for "sy250 won't start" - new merry-go-round.

Any thoughts on what electrical circuitry I have fried? I had a bad feeling when I saw fuel pouring over the electrical wiring attached to the frame backbone - when it was upside down - shop rag or not.

Thoughts?

Update (fwiw): Engine is getting spark. Fuel is not flowing into the float bowl. Petcock flows fuel when not attached.

I plan to disassemble the carb again today, clean the float valve once more, remove inspect and clean the fuel-line and fuel petcock.

If anyone has any additional wisdom it would be appreciated. :D

Check the fuel line before tearing into the carb again, is it pinched/kinked?

Does fuel flow from the pipe when disconnected at the carb end?

Is the float height correct?

Is the float in the right way up?

Be careful with compressed air - I once collapsed a float with a poorly conceived plan to blow out the float valve without disassembly by directing air down the fuel line. 80 psi WILL collapse the floats and they won't ...well float so well :wall: , or stop fuel flowing into the carb, which will flood, Etc.etc :crying:

Have fun. :beer:

I checked the fuel line - clear as day. I have not had time to disassemble the carb to clean the float-valve and check float height. The bike ran perfectly before the hydro-lock situation (probably due to float-needle stuck open).

I do not suspect the float height yet. I am looking closely at the float-needle as the culprit. I will advise when I have disassembled again. Thanks for all information so far.