C15 Ground Clearance

mcman56

I have a C15 with Alpina forks and 13 1/2" shocks. The frame is a 1960 C15S, gooseneck type and I struggle with the lack of ground clearance. It is 2 or 3 inches shorter than a TLR200. I also have a spare, later model, C15C frame. Do these later model competition frames have more ground clearance? How do others deal with this lack of clearance? Probably due to the offset Bultaco forks, it turns pretty well so I'm reluctant to just jack up the back end. Plus, I don't have that much ground clearance myself.

I think you've just rediscovered why everybody went out and bought a Bultaco!

Surely jacking up the back end can only provide minor improvement, given that the wheel remains the same diameter, as the chain will start to rub on the swingarm pivot before you go very far. Time to get the hacksaw out I'm afraid?

Can you explain your reference to a hacksaw?

I have seen pictures of bikes with the lower frame tubes removed but this bike has a sump plate that actually hangs down lower than the frame so I don't see how that would help. I also ride in areas with lots of rocks and things to bang on the bottom.

Can you explain your reference to a hacksaw?

I have seen pictures of bikes with the lower frame tubes removed but this bike has a sump plate that actually hangs down lower than the frame so I don't see how that would help. I also ride in areas with lots of rocks and things to bang on the bottom.

My reference meant work to the frame along the lines of what OTF says.

mcman56,I had Alf my C15 out a the weekend for my first trial on the bad boy.

I think I was at the wrong event(should have been a ploughing match :) ),I

had loads of issues with ground clearance amongst other things.So on Monday

I decided to jack up the engine in the frame using spacer plates,a few hours later

and I had an extra 2" of clearance(My original problem was the sump hung below the

bottom frame rail-dizzy motor),the front sprocket is nearly the same as the swingarm

spindle(plenty of clearance),will have to finish of the exhaust and raise the tank .It'll

be a wee while before its finished and ready for its next trial but I'll keep you posted.

cheers the noo Mr Broon

Bashplate,I've got the Highland 2 day Classic at Alvie this weekend(on the TY),so

by the time I put some pictures on you'll be well pished :beer: :beer: :beer: .See what

I can do.

cheers the noo Brian

• 2 months later...

McMan56 I don't have any recent photos but will have Alf(my C15) out for a trial on Sunday

with my local Club(Lothian Trials Club).I'll take a couple of photos and post them.All I did

was to make a few alloy plates.The lower rails are still there,I've fitted an alloy bash plate

for the time being but will weld perforated metal plate similar to a Beamish.

cheers the noo Brian

7845811562_1b5878cc5b_m.jpg7845803948_0fc102d92b_m.jpg7845798760_d61f4d389b_m.jpgH

Here are a couple of pictures of Alf,he's a work in progress,it shows the jacked up engine/plates(sorry but my CNC isn't working at the moment ;) ).The sump guard isn't permanent .Sorry for the lack of titainium,carbon fibre and billet parts.

cheers the noo Brian

Edited by broony