Acu Communication. Riders Views

timp

Following on from the no-stop or stop British Championship issues is there a good way to communicate with and get the views of the riders and other interested people.

Historically the meetings at Rugby to discuss such things are often poorly attended due to many reasons. A few are listed but I guess there's loads.

It's too expensive to go.

I am too busy to attend.

If I go is it worth the effort. Will my views be taken into account as they are all old codgers.

They only listen to what the top lads think.

I can't be bothered and will just moan about things next year instead.

I'v been to Rugby for a few meetings and it's an ok place but it is a days job to go for me coming from the north midlands so I know it's a very long journey for most.

Is there a better way of communication that would work better.

Forums are an obvious way but when you look at most topics of relevance only a small handful of riders get involved. Most just read but don't post their views.

Facebook is another possibly more suitable way perhaps. Real names are used there as well.

Local meetings perhaps but I still doubt if people would attend.

Email questionnaire to everyone interested.

Any ideas?

Every rider will recieve a Trials Registration renewal form at the end of the season. If the ACU need everyriders view on any particular subject, it would be fairly straight forward to send out a questionaire with the renewal, providing the subject in question can be decided so late in the season.

The ACU also has a large (but not comprehensive) list of email addressess for riders, this could be another way of canvassing opinions.

The drawback of these ideas is that it takes time to compile such questionaires and even more time to sort out the results. And you will still get people who say theu haven't had their say for some reason.

Pete

Every rider is a member of a club, every club has delegates that can attend Centre meetings and every Centre attends various ACU meetings at Rugby, so every rider has a voice!

I can only speak for the East Midland Centre and here it is very rare for any clubs to attend Centre meetings, just those on the Centre Executive. You all have a voice - use it that way!

Riders have a rider number to identify themselves in the ACU system. Use that in online voting and you know who wants what. Meetings are pains in that you find some people WANT to dominate them and will not listen to others. They also are too easy to subvert. You just have to not mention that rule changes are afoot....

It's the 21st century. Conference calls, webcasts, video conferencing. All are simple and cheap these days.

Something like that would work surely?

Or too avoid arguments get a questionairre out to riders who can put forward concepts and ideas. Then group all the common themes and get riders to vote in an online poll.

Edited by baz883

I kind of thought that a Facebook page may be the way forward. We get info from some trials clubs by it.

It's a very easy way to communicate. And free!!

If the Acu had a British Trials Championship page or whatever you call it the Acu could restrict it to just the registered riders if they wanted or whoever they wanted to respond. A very easy way to find out how the last round went. Was it too hard. Too easy. Very good. How many rounds should the championship be. What rules!! Etc. etc.

Also good for the Acu to pass on any info they need to get out.

I guess that virtually all the riders are on Facebook.

I kind of thought that a Facebook page may be the way forward. We get info from some trials clubs by it.

Facebook isn't the answer. ALL riders would need to have an account and many people don't have and won't have Facebook accounts for good reasons. There are far more professional ways to do it and being free is irrelevant. The ACU isn't skint.

The Trials Forum as held in Rugby was not very well attended and it was suggested that a Forum could be held in a local Centre if enough wanted it and this happened in Aug 2011 when one was held at the clubroom of the S Midland Centre.

It gave us a chance to put forward questions to a member of the ACU T&E committee, that were answered on the day in what appeared to be an open and honest way and although It might not have been the success that it could have been it did give a chance to put your point face to face, reasonably locally.

Failing that get your club/s to put forward a proposal to your Centre Secretary to circulate to all the Centre Secretaries by email your point/question/proposal and see what support you may have, and proceed from there.

It's a very easy way to communicate. And free!!

If the Acu had a British Trials Championship page or whatever you call it the Acu could restrict it to just the registered riders if they wanted or whoever they wanted to respond. A very easy way to find out how the last round went. Was it too hard. Too easy. Very good. How many rounds should the championship be. What rules!! Etc. etc.

Also good for the Acu to pass on any info they need to get out.

.........or just give them a piece of paper and a sae which they could write their answers to questions down on the way home, and a questionnaire at the end of the year?

• 1 month later...

• 2 months later...

It's a 400 mile round trip for me to Rugby and I do that probably 12 to 15 times a year. If it means enough to you then you will do it.

I personally believe totally in the digital age and welcome all ways of communicating problem is you get so many idiots on forums who think they are being clever but they don't help things