Gas Gas Txt Pro Clutch

I'm still confused as to why people with modern GG's use ATF? The manual pretty clearly says 75W gear oil...

Pretty simple, 75wt will lube it fine. But ATF will make the clutch work. Remember to change often as it`s the transmission oil on the Pro that lubes the mains. Not the two stroke mix.

Actually the factory came up with ATF. Jim and Dale were using GM auto trac 2, the blue stuff at 15 bucks a quart. Which worked better than anything. Then all of a sudden it was ATF only. That 75 wt makes the clutch lethargic. Trials riders have used atf for decades. Just wait till you actually have to work on this beast!

Edited by lineaway

Used both, and ATF works fine, also maintaince wise I dont see real problems.

I see the point of lubrication, but do not forget older models did not lube the crank like the newer models and also still work...

So do whatever you feel good with. Clutchwise ATF is working perfectly.

Right. Heres what I did. I lapped the friction pates on a sheet of fine emery paper with oil on a nice surface table. Took it 9.75 mm or there abouts measured with a digital vernier. Reinstalled the clutch putting the fingers upside down. Installed a new pair of slave o rings. Reasembled the whole lot, Back bled the clutch, readjusted the lever and bingo. Nice light and seemingly smooth clutch. I will stick with the ATF since that is what swelled the plates. Just incase they shrink again with a light gear oil. lol. dunno if that is likely or not but why take the risk. I have a trial on Sunday so fingers crossed she will work nice. Thanks for all the advice and input. BTW there is a  youtube video of a chap doing as I did online, He does a txt 125. Same clutch.

When you look at the clutch design which only has three friction plates it does seem very minimal and finger design and diaphram spring. I can see why it is so critical to have it set up perfectly to achieve a light pull. Probably high maintanence compared to a more conventional clutch but super light feel, smooth action and lightweight in design. Very nice little unit. Christ knows what those stupid clutch pressure plate bolts are, apart from a pain in the a***. Why not use little 8mm head bolts or allen head jobbies.

So back to a nice one finger clutch. if it dont work on the trial I will just buy a new S3 pack and have done with it.   

I have used GM Autotrack, Dex/Merc3 and Type F ATF fluids in my gasgas. I change it every 3-4 rides and never had a problem. Once you go with a fluid stick with it. Don't try experimenting between one versus the other because you will take out the clutch. 

My fiance had been using some ELF eye of newt 38 euro a bottle stuff and it was nothing but problems. Went to good ole ATF with a new clutch pack and its working fine. 

--Biff

• Like 1

Yeah, I know, I live in crazytown for actually using the oil spec'd by the manufacturer. It's a lonely world...

Good point but can you belive that my brand new gasgas EC 2011 came with ATF?

Only started using ATF after this.

Right. Heres what I did. I lapped the friction pates on a sheet of fine emery paper with oil on a nice surface table. Took it 9.75 mm or there abouts measured with a digital vernier. Reinstalled the clutch putting the fingers upside down. Installed a new pair of slave o rings. Reasembled the whole lot, Back bled the clutch, readjusted the lever and bingo. Nice light and seemingly smooth clutch. I will stick with the ATF since that is what swelled the plates. Just incase they shrink again with a light gear oil. lol. dunno if that is likely or not but why take the risk. I have a trial on Sunday so fingers crossed she will work nice. Thanks for all the advice and input. BTW there is a  youtube video of a chap doing as I did online, He does a txt 125. Same clutch.

When you look at the clutch design which only has three friction plates it does seem very minimal and finger design and diaphram spring. I can see why it is so critical to have it set up perfectly to achieve a light pull. Probably high maintanence compared to a more conventional clutch but super light feel, smooth action and lightweight in design. Very nice little unit. Christ knows what those stupid clutch pressure plate bolts are, apart from a pain in the a***. Why not use little 8mm head bolts or allen head jobbies.

So back to a nice one finger clutch. if it dont work on the trial I will just buy a new S3 pack and have done with it.

The 7mm head was the upgrade. Originally they had 3mm allen heads which had to be knocked loose with a chisel. You could of saved all that sanding just by burning that clutch in. Fourth gear against a tree and give her hell. Test, and give it another good burn. 5 minute job. Some of us have been doing this for thirteen years. Nothing new.
  • Like 1

YOU WILL USE ATF!!! :stupid:  DO NOT RESIST. Throw away the manual and liberate yourself from the factory control.

I RESIST, I WILL USE AUTOTRAK II 

(2 reasons, it is what the bike came with when I bought it and don't want issues with changing fluid.

and it's blue just like the plastics on my bike       :D )

• Like 1

A 7mm ring key works just fine.