Trailer Choice

theshercorider

Hi there, it's about time i got myself a trailer rather than relying on mi dad to cart me about.

It will be towed by a real mini (no bmw rubbish) so wants to be lightweight and not too wide really. Also ideally small so doesn't take up too much storage space. I remember a while back seeing someone with a sort of front triangle of a trailer and over the axle of the trailer there was a box in which the bashplate sat on. This intrigues me cause it means the weight of the bike is sat over the axle and its short and lighter.

Something like this...

SNC00033.jpg

But possibly even shorter?

How can i go about getting myself something like this or base for me to build one on? Not really sure what i'm looking at.

(Fitted towbar and electrics a year ago and carry pushbikes with it so its up to the job)

Edit: I only want it to carry my one bike around.

Edited by TheShercoRider

somebody posted a link on here the other day for an adaptor that attaches to your towbar that will carry the bike along the cars width if you know what i mean.

struggling to find it tho.

Try here or Google Motor Cycle Racks

http://www.davecoope...rbike_racks.asp

No idea if these are any good, but it shows the idea.

One snag, they may leave the bike vulnerable to a rear end shunt?

Also, I have a classic Mini. Not sure how it would handle with the weight of a trails bike on the back?

Small trailer may be better...?

Perhaps fit the towbar, then borrow a bike rack (from a manufacturer if possible) and try it...? If it doesn't work then perhaps go for a lightweight trailer?

I have the Dave Cooper rack on my Freelander and it works well (apart from it being on the limit of my lifting ability because of my dodgy back but there is no way a Mini would take the weight.

Check the noseweights from this website - quite an eye opener as most cars with the racks are probably illegally loaded.

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/22442/thinking%20of%20buying%20a%20towcar.pdf

I can't see a rack being any use on a classic Mini, swap it for a Mini pickup, but they hold a kings ransom these days.

Add the bike's weight to the weight of the rack and as stated above, you'll be way over the nose weight limit, probably over the limit on most common hatchback/saloon cars as most rate about 70kg max, even cars you'd expect to be able to lug heavy stuff don't always live up to it when you check the rating in the handbook.

Stuff a tool box and a few odds and sods in the boot and you're looking at an accident at the first bend in the road you come to!

The weight on the rear will unload the front wheels, causing all sorts of drive and handling issues, don't forget the front wheels steer but also most are FWD these days as well.

Short, narrow trailers also don't handle that well, so start looking for a decent motorcycle trailer, most will be narrower than the car anyway, around 1.1 or 1.2 metres.

Collapsible ones are popular, but check how they fit together, nuts and bolts and better than pins and clips, if a little slower to assemble.

Good suspension units that are rated above the weight of the bikes you're planning on lugging is a good idea, no point buying something only rated 150kg if you plan on shifting a big sport bike every now and then.

Also worth noting there are some cheap copy suspension units knocking around with bearing problems, so look for a brand like Indespension.

When I first started driving in 1982, I had a Mini Van

I used to open the rear doors, put a piece of 4x2 over the top of the open rear doors, put my Majesty200 in backwards and hang the handlebars over the top of the piece of 4x2 and strap the whole lot down

Worked a treat, in the days before speed bumps had been invented and over-zealous coppers - had to reverse into some parking fields at trials though

The folly of youth @ 17