Building My Own Oset 20 Alternative

Here is how to shorten the GG-50 forks: take them apart completely, including the damper rod. Remove the plastic spring preload spacer. Fabricate an aluminum spacer of same length, and install it onto the damper rod below the topout spring. There are a few tricky details, such as the bleed hole, so if anyone wants to see pics PM me your email addr and I'll send them. This method maintains proper spring preload while making the forks shorter by 1.5" which makes for much better geometry on this bike IMHO.

You've done an amazing amount of work. I'm very glad you did it instead of me. I was tempted to try, but then I came across a 2006 GG boy-50 and we never looked back. My son rode the wheels off of his Oset-16 and even with 36-Volt motor he always wanted more power. It was obvious to me that power density of batteries is still far behind gasoline. I wish that wasn't so, as I was/am a huge fan of the Oset, and really miss those days when he could ride in the park and nobody would complain. Now we have to stick to the woods, or to our back yard. As for your weight concern: I can tell you that a 60-lbs kid on the GG-50 works just fine. Kids are amazingly adaptable. Plus it has the "training" clutch, which he is slowly learning to use - all in the name of popping bigger wheelies ;-)

• 2 months later...

I became on Oset dealer and just got my first 20". After my kid rode my home built one for 7 months while we waited I can confirm that the 20" Oset knocks the socks out of my home build. It is 5 pounds lighter even though my bike is Lipo and the Oset is SLA. The suspension is better, the controller is awesome, and the weight will probably be like 15 pounds lighter once I convert it to Lipo.

She had a hard time getting wheelies out of the bike I built. I think this is mostly due to the really heavy fork and the overdesigned 4 piston caliper and adult sized disc that Gas Gas puts on the front. On the 20" she is getting the wheelies figured out. In fact, with the power turned all the way up I almost looped it when I wasn't even going for a wheelie! And I am no small boy at 230 pounds.

So, to wrap up my story, I am happy I built her bike. It was a fun project and I learned a lot. She enjoyed the bike for over half a year while we waited for the 20". Now it is retired and will probably become a pit bike for me.

• 4 years later...