Rider Statistics

atomant

Is there any data showing rider statistics in the UK? I assume that the ACU / SACU have numbers based on licence holders. Is this data available? Then there are quite a few who don't have this and still ride plus other organisations like the AMCA.

I want to build a picture of the size of the UK trials market for some 'research'

Cheers in advance

Ian

Once I see research written as 'research' I can't help thinking of Pete Townsend's reference in the papers to his "research project"

Now about the numbers....I asked a few times in another topic when one ACU chap was posting, but never got a reply to something along the lines of:

How many Trials/card/licence/thingy holders there are currently and how it compared to say 10 and 20 years ago????

Edited by Rosey

I suspect that it's not an easy figure to work out.

The ACU can tell you exactly how many trials registrations are issued each year, but an unknown percentage of riders will have road racing, enduro and other licences which allow them to also ride trials.

Add that to the number of AMCA licences and day licences that are issued and the figure becomes rather vague.

Is there any data showing rider statistics in the UK? I assume that the ACU / SACU have numbers based on licence holders. Is this data available? .

Your be lucky, would you want to show your companies balance sheet to your customers,

The number of riders with trials registrations would only show income from one source, it certainly wouldn't give you the ACU's balance sheet. Only money generated from one specific income path.

But as I mentioned above, it the number of trials registrations would be an almost meaningless figure.

Your be lucky, would you want to show your companies balance sheet to your customers,

Firstly, thanks for all the helpful comments above :D

Secondly bilc0, I'm not sure why you should think that and why the ACU shouldn't divulge this information! If you want to see my company's balance sheet you can go to companies house and see it along with every other limited company's balance sheet.

I have in the past purchased a set of accounts for the ACU to see how they spend the money (which anyone can do) .. Interesting reading I have to say

Well i would'nt say Trials registrations meaningless figures.

Say 2000 riders @ £10 a chuck, next question would be wheres all that money going.

AtomAnt was talking, in the opening thread, about building a picture of the UK trials market. Knowing that there are 2000 trials registrations but not knowing how many riders ride trials makes, in that context, the number of Trials Registrations meaningless.

If you read my post, I was not suggesting that the money generated was not of interest ,it clearly is. But that was not the point of the thread.

However, in an attempt to answer your 'next' question, I suspect that the £10 the ACU charges riders for their Trials Registration doesn't even cover the cost of producing the Handbook and the 'licence' itself.

Its funny but there has been many a mention of the demise of trials but no one can say how many trials riders there are in the country today, so on that basis how can anyone give an educated assessment without hard data ?.. Bike sales don't tell the story as there are as many older bikes still going as there are newer bikes. I'm not sure anyone really knows... but it would be good to know ;)

The more I think about it, the more I think it's impossible to get a figure.

The ACU know how many Trials registrations there are but would have no idea how many road racers also ride trials.

I'd hazard a guess that the AMCA would not know how many trials riders they have plus many of those would also have ACU licences.

Using club membership figures wouldn't help either, the Stratford club has 88 members on the books as of today, but some are also be members of other clubs in other centres, I certainly am.

Number of riders in events on any day doesn't help, some riders ride 40 trials a year, others do one or two.

I can't think of any other way of collecting this information, any ideas?

Wish I could help,I've trialled for nearly 40 years. and I thought I would know most of the locals.

Thing is every trial we run rider's I,ve never met appear from the woodwork.

If I was to make a guess I'd say about 2/300 regular riders up here and about double that ride occassionally

As for trials bike ownership must be 1000s,sadly a lot are ornaments..

I am afraid as others have pointed out it is never going to be a simple excercise, and any figures tend to be distorted for reasons given

I use myself as an example. I have ridden Trials for 40 years , ranging from over 40 events each year for perhaps the first 20 years and reducing afterwards steadily down to about 10 - 15 these days

BUT - for about 30 years I would not appear as a Trials riders as I have always taken out an Enduro licence

!!!!!!!!!!!! One day I must try to find someone who knows a bit about ACU and point out that I have been paying ( this year for example) £43 for my licence plus £1.50 levy each time I have ridden - probably the chances of me riding an Enduro again are the same as me appearing on the X factor - but there you go - habit I suppose

We can establish how many rides there are ( and all the things to do with money are in annual accounts which every Centre and therefore Clubs get) - but even that does not give a true picture ie If 100 rides are recorded is it 1 guy riding 100 times or 10 guys riding 10 times or a zillion combinations in between?

As far as Trials Registration ( often reffered to as licences) go - if one works on about 8000 per year that is close

BUT - that does not mean that all these ride trials . Many, I suspect, a bit like me with my Enduro licence just take it out from habit, many because they perhaps intend to finish that bike in the shed and have a go that year, and many becuse they have also done so and believe that paying £10 gets them a handbook ( or CD) the weekly newsletters, the magazine a few times a year etc

Also without banging the old ACU drum, for myself , as soon as I hang up my boots( which seems to be arriving a bit too quickly these days) I will still pay my £10 for reasons stated, but also as I am fully aware of the amount of work that has gone on and is going on behind the scenes, which has allowed me to ride in motorcycle sport for all these years - sorry if that sounds a bit like propoganda - but it is true none the less and I honestly feel my £10 is important for future, regardless of any ACU position

Edited by John Collins