95' Section Fluids

cafe55

Just recently solved a no-spark condition (thanks’ Grib) on my 95 Section I'd been chasing for months. As I had just gotten the bike when the coil failed, I'm now ready to pick up where I left off and focus on the rest of the bike, including changing the fluids and minor touch-ups.

Anyone recommend a specific coolant to use? - volume? I understand the engine is magnesium and may require a propylene glycol mix rather than the slightly more corrosive ethylene glycol? Or is this just splitting hairs?

Any specific type/grade of ATF for the transmission?

I assume the hydraulic brake and clutch take the same fluids - DOT 4?, at least for the brakes. I've used synthetic DOT 5 in my TR6 because it won't absorb moisture and eat the paint but it’s pretty $pendy.

Lastly, type of fork fluids and volume? The seals are leaking so a fork re-build is in the immediate future.

Like I mentioned to Grib I wish these bikes would have had manuals with all the specs.

Thanks,

Isaac

80 to 1 with a good oil. Do not remember using ATF in a fantic, Dot 4 should be right but check the clutch cap since fantic did use mineral oil at one point.That is all I remember off hand.

Edited by lineaway

Lineaway and Lee,

Thanks for the reply. OK, I'll use 80:1 for the fuel mix. This seems consistent since I'll be using a synthetic 2-stroke oil that's known have more lubricating qualities.

From the best I could tell the previous owner (PO) was using ATF in the gear box. I've rebuild a couple of Mustang manual transmissions and the required fluid was ATF. Of course, I could be comparing apples to oranges here. I'm also aware REDline makes a racing 120W gear oil that is colored red so at this point it’s really hard to tell.

I have both propylene and ethylene glycol and both are florescent green as well as what the PO was using in the bike. I might try taking the coolant that's in the bike to a Lab for analysis but not sure if this can be determined easily? I'll call around.

I found out last night the manufacturer (Marzocchi) of the front shocks has a facility here in SoCal so I'll see if I can get a pair of seals and get a fluid recommendation at the same time.

One last question. This may require familiarity with the Section. There is a small rubber button 1/4 inch in diam. just in front of the counter sprocket and about 2 inches above the kick start shaft on the outside of the right case. Could this be a bleed pump for the clutch or brake? The very very small lettering says "Brembo".

Modern trials bikes, as I'm finding, are a whole other beast compared to the old Honda's I'm used to wrenching on.

Thanks,

Isaac

Thanks, tlrmark.

I thought that's what the button was for but wasn’t 100% confident. I suppose you open the clutch reservoir and pump any air in the line away. Thanks, also for the fork oil info.

Isaac,