6 replies to this topic

#1 cafe55

cafe55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Bike:1995 Fantic Section

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:40 PM

Just recently solved a no-spark condition (thanks’ Grib) on my 95 Section I'd been chasing for months. As I had just gotten the bike when the coil failed, I'm now ready to pick up where I left off and focus on the rest of the bike, including changing the fluids and minor touch-ups.

Anyone recommend a specific coolant to use? - volume? I understand the engine is magnesium and may require a propylene glycol mix rather than the slightly more corrosive ethylene glycol? Or is this just splitting hairs?

Any specific type/grade of ATF for the transmission?

I assume the hydraulic brake and clutch take the same fluids - DOT 4?, at least for the brakes. I've used synthetic DOT 5 in my TR6 because it won't absorb moisture and eat the paint but it’s pretty $pendy.

Lastly, type of fork fluids and volume? The seals are leaking so a fork re-build is in the immediate future.

Like I mentioned to Grib I wish these bikes would have had manuals with all the specs.

Thanks,

Isaac

Ads By Google User is online

Ads By Google
  • Ad Bots

Don't want these Ads? Why not help support TC and sign up as a Trials Central Supporter?

#2 cafe55

cafe55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:46 PM

Forgot the most important: Fuel ratio - 50:1, 70:1, 80:1 or 100???

Thanks,

#3 lineaway

lineaway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts
  • Club:NMTA, MWVTA

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:26 AM

80 to 1 with a good oil. Do not remember using ATF in a fantic, Dot 4 should be right but check the clutch cap since fantic did use mineral oil at one point.That is all I remember off hand.

Edited by lineaway, 07 June 2012 - 12:27 AM.

#4 lee99780

lee99780

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Bike:Gas Gas txt pro 300

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:25 AM

You need to use the same coolant that is already in, if you use the opposite one then thats when it eats away at your engine

#5 cafe55

cafe55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:31 PM

Lineaway and Lee,

Thanks for the reply. OK, I'll use 80:1 for the fuel mix. This seems consistent since I'll be using a synthetic 2-stroke oil that's known have more lubricating qualities.

From the best I could tell the previous owner (PO) was using ATF in the gear box. I've rebuild a couple of Mustang manual transmissions and the required fluid was ATF. Of course, I could be comparing apples to oranges here. I'm also aware REDline makes a racing 120W gear oil that is colored red so at this point it’s really hard to tell.

I have both propylene and ethylene glycol and both are florescent green as well as what the PO was using in the bike. I might try taking the coolant that's in the bike to a Lab for analysis but not sure if this can be determined easily? I'll call around.

I found out last night the manufacturer (Marzocchi) of the front shocks has a facility here in SoCal so I'll see if I can get a pair of seals and get a fluid recommendation at the same time.

One last question. This may require familiarity with the Section. There is a small rubber button 1/4 inch in diam. just in front of the counter sprocket and about 2 inches above the kick start shaft on the outside of the right case. Could this be a bleed pump for the clutch or brake? The very very small lettering says "Brembo".

Modern trials bikes, as I'm finding, are a whole other beast compared to the old Honda's I'm used to wrenching on.

Thanks,

Isaac

#6 tlrmark

tlrmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Bike:Honda 200 202cc
  • Club:Victoria Motorcycle Club

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:37 PM

That would be the bleed nipple for the clutch slave cylinder. I believe Marzocchi reccomended 7 weight fork oil at that time.

#7 cafe55

cafe55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:20 PM

Thanks, tlrmark.

I thought that's what the button was for but wasn’t 100% confident. I suppose you open the clutch reservoir and pump any air in the line away. Thanks, also for the fork oil info.

Isaac,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users