More Power?

lee99780

This may sound like a silly question... it does to me a bit :icon_salut: Is it possible to get anymore power from my 125?

I was wanting to swap for a bigger bike but I know that my bike is a good solid bike and has been well looked after.

IMO you're better off selling it as a good bike for good money and purchasing a larger capacity good bike for a fair price.

Depending on how much extra power you want it generally goes like this:

More power = more money

More power = less reliability

More power = can often mean less 'useable' power

More power = is it ever enough?!?!?

Then, after you have spent all that time and money investing in more power the bike is still only worth what its market or book value is. People don't generally want to purchase tuned bikes (id prefer to buy a standard bike then one with this that and the other done to it) so you may need to keep the original parts so you can reverse tune it later; what are you going to do with these tuned parts afterwards? You are not going to get another 125, you will probably go bigger cc which is what you perhaps should have done on the first place. Now you're stuck with these parts unless a buyer wants the upgraded parts to come with the bike - you won't get your money back for the cost of tuning it - that I can garuntee!

Just my opinion but it sounds to me like you might naturally be ready for a bigger cc machine. After all the first line in your post says that you've wanted a bigger machine for some time.

Edited by tankygsy

The first thing I suggest is make sure your current bike is giving you all it can. Clean the air filter, replace the plug, de-coke the head, the pipe, de-gunk the silencer and repack it. Make sure your throttle cable is giving full opening of the carb, and get the fetting right. If you want more, check the squish height of the head and adjust it to the minimum spec by changing the base gasket to increase the compression a little. I am not sure if your bike has a flywheel weight and research if removing it is a good idea.

I tend to avoid making significant power upgrades to equipment because the rest of the bike was designed to work with that motor. The clutch, transmission, chain etc may be overstressed ( I am not sure if these items are the same or lighter design than a 250 or 280). The kit to upgrade the cylinder may be OK but I agree with Tankygsy that people will not pay more for a bike with it.

One good thing about staying on a lower power bike longer is that it will force you to maximize your skill and technique with it. Ride it and advertise that it is for sale. You will eventually find a good buyer and can upgrade to a more powerful bike and be an even better rider.

Whatever you do - get out and RIDE! :hyper:

A 125 is fun to ride and quite capable if worked correctly, yet they have no real guts(torque) off the bottom revs. A gasser 200(at 172cc as i recall) is a different beast and shares the same bottom end to put out a quite nice result.

As I say all this, I have not had the oppertunity to ride one with the S3 225 top end kit on it, although following the logic of the factory 200, the 225 should be even more powerfull and gutsey. Have heard the added flywheel weight is a preferred option on this setup.

It is all bolt on stuff, so everything could be transferred to another bike if need be. Might be worth considering as compared to flipping bikes.