Newbie Gas Gas 2003

joe88

Hi all

looking at getting back into it after my ty80 days a few years ago, have my heart set on getting a gas gas and need to get it out of my system i feel my friend who is also getting a bike is trying to sway me on a beta ,

anyways hopefully i can get a bit of advice from you guys.

looking at spending around £1000 which 2003 bikes seems priced at.

a friend of a friend has told me to be aware of this year, he seams to think the gearboxes are weak on these from this year. i am right in saying the txt came out this year is this something to do with his thinking did they change the setup of things.

also any other problems to look out for an gas gases in general, had a read around on here and seeing stuff about electrics and fans not kicking in also plenty of clutch issues, are these easy fixes if i come across a bike with a dragging clutch or should i just walk away. ill be taking my father along who's a mechanic just so i can point stuff out to him to check.

thanks for reading hope to be out and about on one very soon

Joe

look around and personally gas gas is great for me but not for everyone its not the make thats important its how you like the bike and i think you could do better than 03

but if you wana stick too gas gas and around 03 this is a georgus bike http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/trials-bike-gas-gas/104260967

when veiwing a bike check rear suspension linkage , listen for knocks ( clutch in , cover exhaust helps for knocks), look at condition (frame etc it will have marks look for dents etc ), make sure you are happy and will have fun on the bike

good luck

paul

id get a Gas Gas.

the kick start on a beta is a completely stupid idea.

when i was shopping for a trials bike, i would have loved a beta (never rode one mind)

but the left kicker totally put me off. and ill never buy one either until they put the kick start on the proper side

Neilh; Do you have a particularly withered left leg then?

Good luck with your search. Look for the same things on all makes; suspension linkages (gently lift the rear of the bike and feel for free play as the wheel leaves the ground). Not the end of the world, but the thick end of £100 to replace all the bearings. Wheel bearings frequently need replacing, but only a tenner a wheel tops. Chain and sprockets are £60. Again, none of these are show stoppers, but you can easily spend £2-300 getting the bike spot on.

I have a 2002 280txt in my garage that belongs to a mate and it's not for me (I'm a beta man), but it's a good bike, just different. The clutch is a bu66er though. This one drags irritatingly and will need a thinner plain plate to resolve it. It is a bit tricky to start sometimes as you only get one firing stroke per kick, and the kickstart is really long (give me a beta shortie left footer any day!), but you gat the knack. The 280 is quite a firy beast though, and if you're new back, I'd try to find a 250.

Graham

not particularly, no.

im just saying its a stupid design.

in fact, the guy who decided to put it on the left side couldn't have been more stupid if his name was mr. stupid and he lived in stupid street.

its like writing your name with your left hand (unless left handed of course)

as i said, ive never riden a beta, but i would have bought one had it not been for the gay kick start as i think they are very pretty bikes.

I hate it when people beat around the bush; just say what you mean...

:hyper:

It does mean you can control the back brake and restart if you stall in section.

You get very used to it and it teaches you decent technique. If you are right footed you cannot 'stab' at the kickstarter as you don't have the strength. So you have to sort of 'lock your knee' and then just let your weight fall. It's dead easy when you get it dialled.