Ty 80 Engine Questions/help

canada280i

• 3 weeks later...

Final update on this project:

Rebuilt the GT80 engine and dropped it into the second TY80 chassis, couple of kicks and it fired straight up, advertised on the web and sold within 48hours.

End result is a complete TY80 for the daughter to progress to once the Oset is too small. She is just learning the clutch/gear/rear foot brake set-up and seems to have the concept down.

Thanks to all who offered advice on this in the beginning and throughout, it is very satisfying to watch her with a determined look on her face!

Final update on this project:

Rebuilt the GT80 engine and dropped it into the second TY80 chassis, couple of kicks and it fired straight up, advertised on the web and sold within 48hours.

End result is a complete TY80 for the daughter to progress to once the Oset is too small. She is just learning the clutch/gear/rear foot brake set-up and seems to have the concept down.

Thanks to all who offered advice on this in the beginning and throughout, it is very satisfying to watch her with a determined look on her face!

You're probably no where's near Hamilton, Ontario but I sure wish I had've got the Second TY80 that you sold.

I'm into a money pit of one right now.

I put in a new ignition, unclogged the carb, unstuck the reeds, etc... and it still won't fire. I took the head off and there seems to be a lot of play in the piston. I can move it around back and forth in the cylinder. AND there seems to be a wavy kind of wear/scoring of the cylinder in the front on either side of the exhaust port. Of which looks like it's either very clogged or is supposed to be very small.

Here's my question, I found a NOS GT80 Cylinder. Can I use this as a bolt on replacement for the original TY cylinder?

Anyone like to chime in on this one?

Oh Millgrove........I would love to have sold it to you, I am in Milton, about 20 minutes away....bugger!

From my knowledge gained through this experience I believe the cylinder will drop straight in, your only issue may be with the head as I believe the fins are cut differently on the GT80 because of the different swoop of the exhaust, at least they were on the one I had.

Is the piston just swivelling on the rod or bearing, mine does that, and I will fix it one day but at the moment my 8 year old daughter is having too much fun following me, yes, it rattles a little bit, but by the sound of some on UTube, they all do!

To test for firing, take the plug out and squirt some straight gas directly into the cylinder, replace the plug and give it a kick, it should fire briefly, this will at least tell you the electrics are working ok. Early in my rebuild I had to do this as no fuel was getting to the cylinder, turned out that the carb needle was just too low to let any fuel out, I raised it all the way to get it to fire-up and then gradually dropped it and tuned the carb a little until it ran satisfactory.

• 4 years later...