'03 Sherco Stopped Again.

wombat

A couple of days ago I had the Sherco running just fine and now when I need to wash and check it over it has no spark! I'll be getting a new plug tomorrow and try that. I disconnected the kill swith from the handlebar as well when testing for spark. I hope it hasnt spat yet another crank key..

Any ideas?

taper is good, no loose wiring inside, all clean. Key is in good condition also. retorqued nut on re-assembly. Still no spark. Sprayed electrical cleaner into kill switch, still nothing.

At a trial recently we had a rider whose Sherco ran perfect in practice the day before and had no spark the next day. Only thing he did different was he washed it. I told him that was the mistake, never was a trials bike they like dirt. :D

What fixed it was this, we unmounted the magic electrical box that is located in the frame by the steering head. The mounting bracket had 2 wires connected to it. We assumed they were ground wires and that the bracket was not making good contact with the frame. using a wire brush, (fine grit sand paper would probably be better, but hey whatcha gonna do out in the field) cleaned frame mounting point and cleaned the mounting bracket. New plug and viola she runs. Bear in mind even after doing this we could not see the spark in the bright day light.

just cleaned the earth points with a wire brush and fine grit paper, replaced all and sundry, and still no spark. I found the CDI values online and I'll be sending the bike to the workshop next week......

Edited by wombat

after a couple of days away from the bike I checked the wiring and it was still no go til I went to put the tank back on, I moved a wire and a black wire pulled out of the connector. I found a new connector, put the tank on and it fired up almost straight away! Now to test it properly, going for a ride!

thanks for your help.

after a couple of days away from the bike I checked the wiring and it was still no go til I went to put the tank back on, I moved a wire and a black wire pulled out of the connector. I found a new connector, put the tank on and it fired up almost straight away! Now to test it properly, going for a ride!

thanks for your help.

Sounds like progress!