Which 4 Stroke?

beta

Hello all

I have tried searching but have not been able find any reviews or users reports on the 4RT, so can anyone enlighten me please?.

I've decided that I want to go back to 4 stroke but can't decide on Beta or Montesa, any info or suggests would be most helpful.

Many thanks in advance.

my mate got a new Montesa 4rt and he loves it. i haven't riden it but you can see that its a gripping machine. it just sticks like **** to a blanket.

the beta is the best looking bike for me. but the Montesa has a honda engine.

if it were me, id get the beta.

If you are going to hop and ride trials, The Beta. If you are trail riding or a lower class rider just having fun the montesa 4rt is the finest bike so far! I know it sounds crazy to some people, but a stock 4rt will wear you out and the Beta works very well. Now if you could have Bou`s bike that would be a whole new story.

I have a 2011 Beta 250 4T with an Arrow back box - its very grippy, zippy and is fun to ride (I weigh 15 stone) Its well made and is overall an excellent bike with out the complication of efi. Its also 'affordable' as 4 strokes go !

Its the best bike I have ridden IMO. Not much to pick between the 250 and the 300 unless you open them right up !

I am sure the Mont is also an excellent bike - friends I know who have them like them but do comment that they can be hard work and be a bit firey

I personally do not think that there is that much to gain by having the 'Honda' engine over the Beta / KTM donk they are both proven and well made both start and run well - the Beta will have a price per part advantage over the Honda - should you need anything.

Either way I strongly recommend that you try both bikes before purchase and if possible over the same terrain so you get a fair and level comparison.

Its a win win with these 4 bangers - the fun bit is choosing your own favourite :)

ps Ignore Mr Bou's Mont / Honda - its from the planet HRC ! and as such is not like a normal earthlings Mont / Honda would be

Edited by scoobydo

Beta is a sweet bike. Easy to ride, good grip. Beta quality. Weight advantage minimal.

Montesa 4RT same but with EFI. Big advantage. Honda quality. If the few extra pounds bother you then ride without a purse.

Either way you win.

HMMMM, maybe you should come out of the closet. (Bring your purse and best dress). No one in the US has ridden the 4rt in 5 years! Check out the british scene. Oh yeah, yeah Dougie on the factory bike! The bike is not that competitive Honda boy!!

Both are extremely competitive bikes at all levels in my opinion. Mont is definitely carrying a bit more weight, but it carries it well as the suspension works great and great build quality. Beta looks great, and I have never ridden the 4t, but before my mont I had 2 Rev 3's and an Evo and they were great bikes and I never had any issues with the Beta build. You see a lot of wanted ads on TC for Monts so I would say it will defiitely hold it's value better than the Beta here in the UK. Probably a different story in other countries.

You really need to get the opportunity to ride both, the only way to really decide unfortunately in my opinion.

HMMMM, maybe you should come out of the closet. (Bring your purse and best dress). No one in the US has ridden the 4rt in 5 years! Check out the british scene. Oh yeah, yeah Dougie on the factory bike! The bike is not that competitive Honda boy!!

I love you too man, but I think some of your facts are a bit off. There are lots of 4RT's at the club level here in the US, not many at the Nationals. Dougie switched to Beta then Gas Gas about 4 years ago and not sure but I don't think he's ridden the British Championship in a while.

What I was saying, no one that is trying to be competitive in the upper classes rides one. If you like a well made bike that will last forever buy an old honda. The 4rt will not last as long! Yeah there are a lot of mis- led riders riding a brand instead of what they need!

PS I just became an ITSA memeber and my montesa broke with in just a few days! Coincidence? (`81 cota 200 owned for 12+ years and never repaced a part) Hope all this love is short lived :P

Edited by lineaway

Thanks for all your replies. I bagged a test ride on the Beta and couldn't believe how smooth it was. It seems the Beta is cheaper and that may be a big factor.

One thing for sure is that I'm going back to 4 stroke very soon........... now lets try that Mont.

Just make sure you ride it on wet grass so you find out how hard it is to get grip (I was at a test day where this was the going and the dealers trying to sell the thing said they don't find grip easily). Some sales pitch. And I have had good results on four strokes over the years so not prejudiced against them.