Insurance Off Section Riders.

d5upe

As a spectator at the last event I had words with competitors that were larking around off course, and nearly run over by a child jumping his bike. Its not my place to tell them its a responsible parents job.

If hit by a competitor who is doing stunts or practicing off section,( not just children,) am I or the competitor insured if any injuries are sustained?

Some parents seem to let there children go off and try obstacles that arn't marked out for that meeting. Is this acceptable behaviour?

You sound a barrel of laughs. I will first remind you that Motorsport is dangerous and as a spectator you need to be careful. And yes riders will do "stunts" and practice obstacles not marked especially if they have had a problem in a section or feel they need a quick boost to their confidence. Providing that the parents stop them once the meeting is over it is acceptable to most clubs unless the landowner specifies otherwise and usually that means areas are fenced off and observers in that area have been warned to stop riding there.

I also as an observer have had to "move" spectators who seem to think standing in a section where the bikes go is acceptable. I also have had to follow people who wander in front of the bikes between sections. As it stands Public liability insurance is in place just in case and is part of the much derided ACU contribution that is part of the entry fee.

• Like 1

It's usually a time for the kids to relax and train with there mates after a trial. In some cases the child will have been riding the trial with there parents or minder and it's a great release to get away and show off there skills to each other.

They also encourage each other to try obstacles where they might not during a trial. It's usually when the parents start trying the obstacles that your at risk so run for your life.

As for Insurance ? You worry to much.

What trials are in Seaton Delaval area, I'm away to work on that coast and wouldn't mind going for a nosey.

It's usually a time for the kids to relax and train with there mates after a trial. In some cases the child will have been riding the trial with there parents or minder and it's a great release to get away and show off there skills to each other.

They also encourage each other to try obstacles where they might not during a trial. It's usually when the parents start trying the obstacles that your at risk so run for your life.

As for Insurance ? You worry to much.

What trials are in Seaton Delaval area, I'm away to work on that coast and wouldn't mind going for a nosey.

Cheers for your reply.

Next weekend 1st of July Rothbury area. If I get run over its probably because im in the wrong place or area.

The organiser of the Event gave a perfectly good briefing before the start, Im not mentioning the Event or Club on here but it was a good venue, well organised and easy to get to, and a great shame if it was lost due to any miss use. I did hear one parent blast his kid during the event as he was pretty near a section when he and bike tumbled down the hill. But hey spectators are important for a sport like this.

You want to try European World rounds - particularly Italy - where, for a fee, anybody can buy a pass to ride round on their bike all day. It's chaos and an accident waiting to happen. You have public (including small children) flying about on bikes on the same narrow paths as spectators and riders - often riding against the Trial and riders and minders don't tend to hang about... There WILL be a serious accident one day. I've raised it with the FIM on a number of occasions, but it's fallen on deaf ears every time. :(

Cheers for your reply.

Next weekend 1st of July Rothbury area. If I get run over its probably because im in the wrong place or area.

The organiser of the Event gave a perfectly good briefing before the start, Im not mentioning the Event or Club on here but it was a good venue, well organised and easy to get to, and a great shame if it was lost due to any miss use. I did hear one parent blast his kid during the event as he was pretty near a section when he and bike tumbled down the hill. But hey spectators are important for a sport like this.

why are spectators important at an event like this ?

its a local club event, everybody who has entered has paid to do so, voulnteers have taken time to set the course out, agree access with the landowner, put up signs informing people that motorsport is dangerous etc, the ACU as telecat has said arrange insurance cover.

and then a spectator turns up who has paid nothing to be there, hasnt offered to help to observe and i doubt set out the course judging from your comments. What did you bring to the party ?

If the club have said stick exactly to the flags and dont ride anywhere else then fair enough but did they ?

• Like 1

My two penneth....

I help run some of the kids trials in the North East, and my son who is 10 rides. Often we set up in a completely separate area and run conducted, but other times use an existing section and modify to suit the kids.

There is no better way to get them started.

But..... after the event the kids do have a bit of practice, follow each other around, have a laugh and generally have a lot of fun (is that not what being a 10 year old is all about ?? !)

I know motorsport and the relative danger - I competed in Motocross, ran a club and set up tracks for 15 years, have done trials for the the last 10 years....... and I do consider myself a responsible parent.

I do agree with Baldilocks - trials is not really a 'spectator' sport - in motocross we used to rely on the paying public to break even - but it's different in trials. Not that I would ever want to discourage anyone from watching though.

Maybe you were unlucky that there was someone riding irresponsibly - but I've got to say from my experience in the North East, any club official would stamp hard on anyone (child or otherwise) riding really dangerously out of section (to the outsider an expert trying a huge step 'out of section' to practice may look dangerous - but thats the nature of the sport and very much depends upon the ability of the rider)

We are encouraging kids to ride in trials - they will keep the sport alive. That means sections they can manage but challenging - learning the rules - being polite (golden rule, always say thank you to the oberver).....and most of all have fun, which more often than not is having fun for maybe an hour at the end of the trial (while we are collecting flags in, collating observer boards etc etc !)

cheers

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

it's a real grey area but due to the relatively small number of claims on insurance (when comapred to the other motorcycle sports) i don't really think anyone (insurance, etc) has stumbled on it in a big way. if you've a spercific question then i'm sure the T&EC, directors, Gary Thompson or Eddie Bellars of the ACU can be contacted.

obvisouly there are real issue about "duty of care", "risk assement" and other health and saftey if riders just go off "free riding" / "practicing" anywhere (ie how are they to know about huge drops, dene holes, mineshafts, barbed wire, enviromentlay sensitve areas, etc, etc) so it's a tricky one to answer.

In my opinion, as a responsible parent, it is acceptable behaviour and you as a spectator should be more aware of your surroundings. Places to practice are few and far between in my area so any chance to do so is usually seized upon if allowed.It saddens me that the world is going this way bureaucracy seems to spoil everthing in the end , Its upsetting that common sense is just not good enough anymore. I have very fond memories of flying round with my mates to watch my Dad at different sections.Maybe it would be better for everyone to get the 'playstation' game then we all will be safer.Again this is just my opinion and I do realise the dangers.

• 6 months later...

You sound a barrel of laughs. I will first remind you that Motorsport is dangerous and as a spectator you need to be careful. And yes riders will do "stunts" and practice obstacles not marked especially if they have had a problem in a section or feel they need a quick boost to their confidence. Providing that the parents stop them once the meeting is over it is acceptable to most clubs unless the landowner specifies otherwise and usually that means areas are fenced off and observers in that area have been warned to stop riding there.

I also as an observer have had to "move" spectators who seem to think standing in a section where the bikes go is acceptable. I also have had to follow people who wander in front of the bikes between sections. As it stands Public liability insurance is in place just in case and is part of the much derided ACU contribution that is part of the entry fee.

I echo this post!!