Hub Colour

davey64

Hi all,

I'm about to send my rear wheel off for rebuilding.

Can anyone confirm the original finish for the rear hub:

Sherpa 199, Red tank, Silver frame.

I've googled it and not sure is it's fully polished, or black on the brake area

and the rest polished or completely black, either matt or gloss?

Regards

Dave.

If its an original mod.199 - two options, the first models into the UK 1977-78 it would have polished hub with the small finned brake area in matt black.

The later versions just before the 199A was introduced (blue frame with allot sump plate no frame tubes under motor, blue tank) these had both hubs matt black finish like naichuff's which is actually a 1979 - Model 221, which was the mod.198 type motor 250cc crankcases with a 175cc (174.77cc) barrel and head fitted and used the 199 frame and ungusseted swinging arm with the frame tubes under the engine.

Big John

The 221 model used the 250 frame with the bend in the downtube from the 190

Indeed it did! "Parts bin" bike they reckoned, built with new left overs from other models at the end of production runs, but still a good wee bike. Brian Hutcheson campaigned one successfully as I recall!

Big John

Yep the front down does bend at the front gusset and the engine is almost touching the swinging arm and the swinging arm does not have gussets Do not know bore or crank spec never been apart Just on to the third rear chain John Only I used it on VMCC rallies or at the Pre 65

Ian, I remember your bike brand new at the McLellan Galleries, it was beside my new 325 (mod.199A) on Vic Allan's stand. I think you have seen the photo of me sitting on my 325 and Grant Miller sitting on your 175 (mod.221) only for the picture, as we were in the SMCS team, sponsored by Robbie Allan that season. So basically it has never been trialled? I fancied one for the Moffat Racing Bultaco collection, but Tam Dodd's son had one but it was in poor condition, I saw it on e-bay (again) a couple of weeks ago, I offered £400 (I think) for it once through an intermediary and he turned me down, but it wasn't worth even that as it had the rear loop cut off (not a good thing to do) and it would have cost me around minimum £800 to put it in the condition I would have be happy with!

Now if you were to sell me yours that would be a different deal!

Big John

Indeed it did! "Parts bin" bike they reckoned, built with new left overs from other models at the end of production runs, but still a good wee bike. Brian Hutcheson campaigned one successfully as I recall!

Big John

Supposedly made for the home market as holiday resort rental bikes - most had the dual seat, lights and passenger footrests. I remember seeing a good few of them in Ibiza many years ago.

Basically just a model 190 with sleeved down barrel to make it 175. Only difference in the frame from a 190 seems to be the rear mudguard loop which is longer like the later 198/199 bikes.

On the subject of mod.221 - Most of the trials swinging arms (199/199a) rear-most bracketry were made so pillion rests could be bolted on, production runs usually are this way.The ones that came here through Comerfords/Bultaco UK had the alloy tank and trials seat fitted, but home market had an Alpina style blue poly tank and long ride/dual seat, and of course full lighting kit for excursion/leisure riding.

Big John

The swinging arm on mine still has the brackets for the stop switch and wires

The primery coil for the ignition has another coil wound over the normal coil and has a separate lighting coil Don't hold your breath John waiting for me to sell it. It is now a family heirloom