Sherco 250 Coolant Overflow

dom1f

Just bought a 2002 Sherco 250, never owned a trials bike before so no level of knowledge to start from.

Basically I took it our for my first ride today and after a while the radiator overflow started leaking coolant which stopped when it cooled down then came back much worse when I started riding again.

The vendor says the coolant was changed when he serviced the bike before selling it and they all do that and it is nothing to worry about whilst I am now worried about head gaskets or possibly even a cracked head presurising the cooling system.

I am supposed to be riding my first ever trial on Thursday so can anyone confirm if this is normal? Or should I drain and flush the cooling system then refill it so I know it is not overfilled and check the water pump impeller and the thermostat.

Thanks

Do not 'brim' the coolant up to the spout,the radiator needs an expansion gap at the top of the matrix.

The coolant should fill the rad up to and level with the top of the fins in the matrix... and no more (you will need a torch) .If it is overfilled then it should find it's own level by expelling the extra once it heats up.

I'm a bit concerned about your post when you say that it was much worse after expelling and cooling?

Thanks guys.

The first time we noticed it was only a few drips hitting the exhaust and steaming off, I stopped the bike immediately to check it but couldn't see where it was coming from so put it down to a bit of splash from a puddle or something.

Second time it was coming out in proper big drips so I stopped it and found the overflow hose when I started the bike and let it run for a while it started dripping from the hose again.

I will check the level in the radiator, hopefully it has just been a bit overfilled and will find its own level.

Yes the fan comes on.

Been a bit delayed getting the tools out, my missus went into hospital on Sunday and gave birth to our daughter on Wednesday morning.

Will update on the bike once I get the chance to look at it again.

Should explain she has a history of pre-term labour so went in with some concerns on Sunday, only really starting labouring on Tuesday early morning.

Baby arrived at 26 weeks 3 days and 1lb 6ozs in weight so she will be in the NICU for a bit but she is doing well for her size so far.

Should explain she has a history of pre-term labour so went in with some concerns on Sunday, only really starting labouring on Tuesday early morning.

Baby arrived at 26 weeks 3 days and 1lb 6ozs in weight so she will be in the NICU for a bit but she is doing well for her size so far.

Best to you all!