Fim Minimum Weight

philrain

Info from the FIM website - lots of PDF's to sort through to finally find the right one. Lots of interesting rules regarding materials usages and restrictions. ( They dont let you use Ti for alot of things)

The minimum weights of the Trial motorcycles, for Outdoor events only, are:

• For 125cc cylinder machines: 65 kg

• For higher than 125cc cylinder machines: 66 kg

At any time during the event, the weight of the verified motorcycle must not be less

than the minimum weight required.

Didn't seem to bother some locals at the Japanese world round on the Yam/Scorpa type thingys.

A point I would make is that if the weight limit was a bit higher perhaps the makers could leave a bit metal in there bikes.

Are these limits enforced or just a red herring?

A red herring.

In France for example it was clear that all bikes would be weighed at technical inspection on the friday, a better option would be somewhere out on the course without notification.

the other rule that is broken is re fuelling on the course both ragas and bous bikes have very small capacity tanks.

Yep , water in the tyres was a good one i heard "could be used". Just let it out after the inspection.

Its time the min weight rule was reduced to 60kg . Its out of date. The bikes are at the limit now and can get much lower, down to 61kg without sacrificing reliability.Ive been told and seen areas of the Jotagas where significant weight savings can be made to shed another 2kg at least . People want the best technology available and not 2nd best. Its progress , evolution. We dont eat raw meat anymore.

The sensor regulating the whole issue within the new limit should be the manufacturers.They need slight pressure on them to improve the bikes , but not so much that the deepest pockets will win. That's why i think 60kgs is right. They will keep the price just affordable of they'll go bust .

• Like 1

I feel though the bikes are well made they cannot put up with sustained use.

Once a modern bike has had a couple of hard seasons it's well past it's best and making things lighter will not help this.

I feel though the bikes are well made they cannot put up with sustained use.

Once a modern bike has had a couple of hard seasons it's well past it's best and making things lighter will not help this.

Absolutely Right...I think the major components are the ones that will suffer (are suffering) the most as factories try to cut cost and weight at the same time. Lowering the minimum weight will not result in any ones riding ability improving! Just higher cost and less reliability.

I disagree with the reliabiability arguement and agree with the a new 60kg limit. Titanium and carbon fiber prices are much lower than they were 10 years ago and increasing the use of these items will continue to reduce costs. Development and technology is being compromised with the current ruling. World round riders will demand and bike builders will develop lighter bikes that will hold up to the stress of the highest level of competition.

If you are worried about cost vs. techno I'm sure Gas Gas will always offer the 'Eco' .

To me it would make sense to lower the limit say 2kg's every two years so the manufacturers can factor that into their development of their product. By the way any bike from any era that is ridden by a top expert rider for a whole season will feel very second hand. I can remember riding a national title winning sherco which felt like it had a hinge in the middle, compared to my brand new sherco

The depreciation on new bikes is bad enough,if they start getting much lighter they will eventually be disposable.

Look at superlight mountain bikes,you wont get an empty crisp packet for an old one.