Ossa Tr280I Oils

frogger

What 2T and gear oils are you chaps using in your 280i's?

After some trial and error:

Motorex Cross Power 2T (fully synthetic) at 9ml of oil per litre of fuel (110:1)

I havn't fouled a plug yet, although the plugs look black and pretty horrible when they come out. We clean the plug before each trial, I think they will foul for sure if you don't take them out and clean them periodically.

GRO Gear Extreme 75w in the gearbox. Also tried the 10w/30 which didn't provide the same level of clutch feel despite some data suggesting it was the same stuff as 75w - its a different colour and everything so definitely a different oil. The 75w was an immediate, noticable improvement over the 10w/30.

I use Motul racing 2T full synthetic at 110:1 and never fouled a plug. For the trans my dealer told me to use AFT automatic trans oil... I don't like that since they said synthetic gear oil 75W in the manual. He told me he use automatic trans oil in all Ossa, Gas Gas, Sherco, Beta.

I'm really not sure about that :unsure:

I use Motul racing 2T full synthetic at 110:1 and never fouled a plug. For the trans my dealer told me to use AFT automatic trans oil... I don't like that since they said synthetic gear oil 75W in the manual. He told me he use automatic trans oil in all Ossa, Gas Gas, Sherco, Beta.

I'm really not sure about that :unsure:

I'd be doing my own oil changes if I were you.

Hi Stou, you may want to check out the Ossa Canada website, in particular this document from the importer regarding oil usage:

http://www.ossacanada.ca/Ossa%20TR280i%20General%20Quick%20Guide%20R5.pdf

There are also plenty of other technical bulletins and information on the site, if you get stuck or have a question you can also e-mail Ossa Canada, response and service is always excellent.

deonnatard, I did the oil change myself. The problem is that I wasn't sure what oil to used because the dealer told me something and I read something else in Ossa doc.

canada280i, I have this pdf document, that's why I didn't like his idea of using automatic trans oil.

I went for a ride yesterday and I found that the clutch was dragging when the bike was cold. I bought some Maxima 75w and I will change the oil again.

Yes, the drag was only when cold. But the clutch didn't dragging before the oil change, at least not as much as it was yesterday.

When I used the GRO 10w/30 I had cold clutch drag but it went away after a few minutes running. With GRO 75w I don't have the drag problem and the clutch engagement is smoother - more feel.

Remember to loosen the clutch cover screws to get all the oil out - even on 2012 model you can't get all the oil from the sump drain which is a bit messy but necessary.

Also I am pretty sure that the gear box oil is also lubricating the main bearings in these engines - as such I don't think the ATF will be up to the task of that?? I don't know for sure but I'm not going to try it :-)